hogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right now food sources are low. I would target wheat fields or grain fields if possible. If that is not possible, put some walking time in through the thickest area you can find. If you find a trail....fallow it, ready to shoot just like bird hunting. I have shot quit a few pigs still hunting witht he wind in my favor. Most of the pigs that we have been catching latley (with dogs) are either on wheat fields or close by, or around hay patches where cattle have been fed. Hope this helps

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never had one tear up truck too bad, but never hit a big sow at 40 mph either. Ol man rancher I used to hang run with loved to chase them down with the feed truck and run them over. It was surprisingly effecient at times. We had some that got up and took off, they were a bit slower after that and you could usually squeeze off a shot or two from the scatter gun.

Karat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would love to see what running over a big pig with a truck would do to the truck. I almost feel like the pigs would just get up and run off and your truck would be a little uglier (or prettier, depending on how it started)

I was running down US-83 south of Shamrock, TX, in the middle of the night. I was doing 72-73mph and a Cattle Truck blew by me doin at 80-85mph. Just north of Childress I come up on the same truck stopped on the side of the road, so I stop to make sure he is alright. He hit a BIG hog at atleast 75mph, he said it felt like hitting a piece of cement. It rolled the center part of his front bumper back and up making the whole bumper into an upside down U(like a frownie face). As the truck rolled on top of the hog it dented the oil pan and broke it loose, and rolled the front drive axle backwards far enough to pull the driveshaft out of the transmission. By the time the trailer axles made it to the hog, he was slowed down enough that they just drug what was left of it for another 50-60 feet.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was running down US-83 south of Shamrock, TX, in the middle of the night. I was doing 72-73mph and a Cattle Truck blew by me doin at 80-85mph. Just north of Childress I come up on the same truck stopped on the side of the road, so I stop to make sure he is alright. He hit a BIG hog at atleast 75mph, he said it felt like hitting a piece of cement. It rolled the center part of his front bumper back and up making the whole bumper into an upside down U(like a frownie face). As the truck rolled on top of the hog it dented the oil pan and broke it loose, and rolled the front drive axle backwards far enough to pull the driveshaft out of the transmission. By the time the trailer axles made it to the hog, he was slowed down enough that they just drug what was left of it for another 50-60 feet.

I can believe that. The wife has totaled out two vehicles on deer. I've hit one, but it was a fawn and my truck sits pretty high and didn't do a lot of damage.

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can believe that. The wife has totaled out two vehicles on deer. I've hit one, but it was a fawn and my truck sits pretty high and didn't do a lot of damage.

Man!!! When i was about 20 i had a cj7 with no top. I was clipping along a dirt road about 50mph when out of no where a deer jumps the fence and falls down right in front of me. I ran right over it with both driver side tires. I was not wearing my seat belt!!! I looked like a retard riding a 2000 pound bull! I went from one seat to the next over and over. I did slow my a$$ down for awile.:offtopic2:

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm getting ready go pig hunting for the first time too. My girlfriends grandparents have 720 acres that apparently now has pigs on it in South Texas near Abilene/ Sweetwater. I've not seen the land really. I know there is some open field and some wooded area, but not sure how thick it is; and I think 2 ponds. Her grandfather is going to take me out there and show me the land and where they have been digging around..... At this point, baiting them isn't an option because they just want to get rid of them and I am so far away can't actively pursue that. So, that brings up two questions;

1. Would you use a scoped Ar-15 or a shotgun? I plan on bringing both down there but don't know which would be a better option.
1a. If you say shotgun, buck shot or slugs, and does it matter what choke I have on my gun when shooting buck/ slug? Don't wanna mess anything up on my gun.

2. What would be the best approach to hunting? Walk and stalk? Sit up near water or something of that nature?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would take the AR. From what I've learned the hogs are pretty nomadic. They aren't like a deer where they return to the same feed fields every day. They wander, eat, and wander. Something with longer range than a shotgun, and more rounds if you get into a bunch of them. You'll probably have to drive around until you spot them and then put a stalk on them. They can't see very well, but have great noses, so make sure you watch the wind.
Also Tx allows shooting at night with a spotlight and night vision, so there is an option as well.

YakBasser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't seen this, but someone told me they like Diesel Fuel, and will root-out around where it's been spilled around above ground storage tanks, like whats used for filling farm equipment.

Reaction score
I've heard to attact them and hold them in an area, mix up pretty much any combination of the follow and bury it 6 inches to a couple feet deep.

-dead fish / fish parts
-corn
-milk
-beer
-flavored koolaid powder (cherry, strawberry, grape, etc.)

then put a little corn and diesel fuel on the ground on the top to get them started. Maybe rub some creosote on a good rubbin tree or post nearby to a waterhole and your buried treasure. Or just a standard corn feeder, with plain corn or corn and diesel fuel. But I'm with whoever said they wouldn't want to eat one that's been eating hydrocarbons, so I personally would nix the diesel fuel.

A good way to hunt them, at least in Texas, is to put a solar-powered night light on your feeder or stash, that powers up all day, then comes on and stays on all night. Stake it out starting at sundown.

Latest posts

Top Bottom