home insurance, what have you found out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know this has been brought up many times. Some of you back in mid 2012 were looking at changing, also some early this year. Mine went up last year by 1300 & again 1400 this year.
those who looked into it who did you end up with and what was your average savings. I have OKLAHOMA FARM BUREAU, BEEN HAPPY WITH THEIR SERVICE. Have both home & autos with them. 1 claim from 2010 piedmont tornado, and hail claim on 2 cars 2 years ago. Now it is 4100 for a 185000 house seems hight to me so I am looking now just would like to see what you did may save me some time and point me in the right direction

Viper16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking at liberty mutual...but right now have a company that caterers to teachers, Horace Mann. to me insurance companies is like gambling...choosing the lowest price could cause some real heartburn later on when you need to make a claim. And vice-versa on the higher end guys stiffing ya on the claims. Hate just thinking about it.

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is your home new? USAA gives me a $3000 discount for having a new house. My home is insured for $400K and it only costs me $1500, last year it was $1200.

Two other things you can do is play with your deductible. If you have an emergency fund built up you can raise your deductible. I have also heard that Farmers will let you raise your deductible for the non hail months and then lower it for storm season, a friend said this saves him $300 a year.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Insurance companies have insurance companies as well for large losses; reinsurers. Farm Bureau decided (I think around 2009) that they were big enough they could be their own reinsurer. When the 2010 storms hit, they got hammered and lost a large chunk of their reserves. That's when they went around and started canceling customers that would not bring their auto policies (profitable) over to the company. Their customers that had home only with them were told to bring over autos or go elsewhere. Their remaining customers all had premium increases larger than market average (everyone went up in OK). Farm Bureau (actually, everyone) got hit hard in 2010, 2011 and 2013. FB just got hit a little harder from their choices to drop reinsurers. They are still in recovery mode.

If you are shopping around, you want to shop State Farm and Liberty Mutual. They are the two big name, HO5 style (excluded peril) policies for this state. State Farm and Farmers have the two largest market shares in this state by a good margin if that means anything to you. But if you consider Farmers, you need to specifically ask the agent if they are a listed peril policy (as I'm pretty sure they are).

After a catastrophe, you'll hear nightmare stories about every company from someone. But you'll find those insured with a listed peril company will have many more complaints. It is simply because people don't understand the differences and only find out when the policy is applied to deny things people assumed were covered.

Disclaimer: I'm an auto adjuster and do work for a major company in the state. But I also carry insurance with multiple companies. My decisions on insurance are not based on loyalty.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is your home new? USAA gives me a $3000 discount for having a new house. My home is insured for $400K and it only costs me $1500, last year it was $1200.

Two other things you can do is play with your deductible. If you have an emergency fund built up you can raise your deductible. I have also heard that Farmers will let you raise your deductible for the non hail months and then lower it for storm season, a friend said this saves him $300 a year.

Here's another happy USAA customer. When I went into to see "my" Allstate rep to cancel he asked me why and I started out "Well USAA ..." He got all sad-faced and said "Nevermind. If it had been anybody but USAA I was gonna try to talk you outta it but I can't come close."

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahoma Farm Bureau refused to renew my home coverage unless I moved my auto to them. Told them to take a leap and moved everything to Allstate. Saved more than I expected.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Give E Cornelius a call in Piedmont they have many types of insurance they sell.
State Farm canceled us after a roof and theft claim in our spencer house. over a 9 year period.
Oklahoma farm Bureau went way up and when it was time to fix our roof they only paid for material.
Got in a huge lawsuit over that practice and were no longer able to wright new policies..So is what i understand.

I got paperwork in the mail to join the lawsuit. I did not do it, as i roofed the house myself .

I pay 1,457 now for $229,800 coverage.. this is safeco insurance they sell.
My agent phone # is 405-373-2997 E Cornnelius insurance agency Piedmont OK.
may help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom