home insurance, what have you found out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Back a few years FB hosed us on a claim when an ice storm caused and electrical surge and it blew up anything plugged into a receptacle. Then that spring we had just switched to Shield of Shelter two days earlier and got hit by the Tecumseh tornado. They came out and started writing checks on the spot and were very helpful.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
By the way, I wouldn't blame you if you didn't read it.

There's no point.... I already read what you've said. You believe in them because they've saved you money.... that's fine. I've stated that they don't really look out for their member's best interests. Their political leanings and actions show this. They are in it for the money under the guise of "non-profit."

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With that post, you owe it to me to tell me at least once where I "carried AARP's water".

You really don't understand that when shown AARP is against your Constitutional freedom to keep and bear arms yet you continue to defend them is "carrying their water"??? You don't understand that defending them because they saved you some money on insurance yet they hold political views that are antithetical to what you support by your participation in a gun forum??? When it's clear that you value your economic standing above your basic freedoms, that's carrying their water and you've done it since Post #15 in this thread.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Recently had a long conversation with a friend who soon will retire from OK state service and had been heavily marketed by AARP.
I have been retired for awhile, and showed him, case by case, where the "GREAT SAVINGS FROM AARP" is their self-serving marketing hype, and I can beat every one of their "deals" without financing AARP and giving them membership numbers to claim they "represent most seniors."

I even beat their "SPECIAL AARP RATES" on insurance and travel without supporting an avowed gun-banner and senior health care back-stabbing legislative lobby. I would not save one cent by belonging to AARP.
If these facts offend any AARP fans, maybe you need to look at the facts instead of supporting a liberal gun banner lobbyist "for perceived financial advantage."

dugsok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's no point.... I already read what you've said. You believe in them because they've saved you money.... that's fine. I've stated that they don't really look out for their member's best interests. Their political leanings and actions show this. They are in it for the money under the guise of "non-profit."

You are so right(like obamacare,gun control and such,you will love AARP.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, clearly, I'm a naïve old fart who can't see the trees for the leaves. Maybe you're right! Maybe AARP is the biggest rip-off around, as you say.

Rod, I would be interested in knowing what P&C company you found and recommended to your friend for his Homeowner and Auto coverage. I'll check into it for my next renewal. The OP could use that info, too.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While AARP may have begun from noble cause (political c!out for seniors), just like most labor unions, they have become profit machines based on pertuating their own existance. They care nothing about membership other than getting their money.

They will not get mine.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would be interested in knowing what P&C company you found and recommended to your friend for his Homeowner and Auto coverage

We're eligible for USAA, which usually ends the conversation with other insurance agents.
However, if you aren't, picking one good company and buying ALL your insurance from that one company will get multi-policy discounts that will even beat the USAA single-policy prices. With State Farm policies on 2 houses and 4 vehicles, the price on one house is half the USAA single-policy price, and a $1,000,000 liability rider was only $200 for multiple drivers.

The motel AARP discounts are less than the discounts offered to retired military and state employees, except for a few chains that I ignore. If you like retiree organizations and want a conservative one, there are AMAC, NAOCS, and others. MOAA (Military Officers) is my retiree organization, and an excellent insurance source for those eligible.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got quotes from either 5 or 6 companies this year and USAA was the only one that offered any real competition with The Hartford. As I recall, their auto was actually a little less and the Homeowners, although close, was a little higher. Their combination compared to The Hartford gave me reason to consider them, but they were still a little short. Hartford's excellent claim service and really good coverage kept me there.

I'll be doing some checking into those orgs you mentioned. Well, maybe not MOAA since I'm enlisted.

USAA confused me a litte. When I received my quote, there was a part of the statement which said my Homeowners premium would be around $4,000, but some type of discount would bring it down to less than $2,000. It was ambiguous and I just wasn't into researching it, since even with the discount, they were still a little high.

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom