home insurance, what have you found out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let's get something straight. I'm not a homer for them. I have repeatedly said that I "USE" them for my own purposes. Quite a few years ago, when my then current insurer pulled a "Farm Bureau" on me, I investigated many carriers and found that AARP/Hartford was not only the best I could find coverage-wise, but, at that time, the least expensive. I saved literally nearly $2,000 that first year. Since then, it has vacillated up and down but never has it failed to save me money over the competition on the homeowners/auto combination. I get several quotes every three years. USAA is the only one that has come close during that time, pricewise.

Coverage-wise, Hartford has some of the most broad-ranging perks available in the market-place. If people would take the time to read their policies and ask questions of their agents (many of whom can't answer them), they'd be surprised what they don't have. I worked for The Hartford for 33 years, so I know a little bit about the subject.

You can dump on AARP all you want, but AARP was designed for one purpose and that was to give Seniors some clout. It has done that well. Like all entities of it's type, it has grown bloated and control has been centralized in it's board of directors. They, just like Congress, are subject to lobbying and ultimately looking after their own interests. It is up to us as members to make our concerns known the best way we can, not dissimilar to the way we do with government. We can lay low and assume our vote doesn't count or we can work to make sure it does. The one thing that is guaranteed not to work is to keep quiet. That's why I express myself to AARP when I am in disagreement and that's why I vote.

AARP is beginning to face competition from other groups. Whether they are able to seriously challenge them in the near future is questionable, but possible.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let's get something straight. I'm not a homer for them.

You really expect us to believe that after watching post after post with you carrying their water? :clap3: You missed a career in comedy.

You can dump on AARP all you want, but AARP was designed for one purpose and that was to give Seniors some clout. It has done that well. Like all entities of it's type, it has grown bloated and control has been centralized in it's board of directors. They, just like Congress, are subject to lobbying and ultimately looking after their own interests. It is up to us as members to make our concerns known the best way we can, not dissimilar to the way we do with government. We can lay low and assume our vote doesn't count or we can work to make sure it does. The one thing that is guaranteed not to work is to keep quiet. That's why I express myself to AARP when I am in disagreement and that's why I vote.

You fail to realize that the only power you have is to not play the game and not let them play it with your money. That's more power than you have over Congress and you're missing the opportunity to use it. Trying to reason with a bureaucracy is a fool's game and it doesn't matter if they're "from the government" or "from AARP."

AARP is beginning to face competition from other groups. Whether they are able to seriously challenge them in the near future is questionable, but possible.

https://amac.us/

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You really expect us to believe that after watching post after post with you carrying their water? :clap3: You missed a career in comedy.

You fail to realize that the only power you have is to not play the game and not let them play it with your money. That's more power than you have over Congress and you're missing the opportunity to use it. Trying to reason with a bureaucracy is a fool's game and it doesn't matter if they're "from the government" or "from AARP."

https://amac.us/

With that post, you owe it to me to tell me at least once where I "carried AARP's water".

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

If I'm dumping on them it's because of real life exposure to what their health insurance products do to seniors. I'm glad you saved some money on their P&C insurance. For every one of you.... there are 50 stuck on their MA products because of health issues that can't get off and are going broke getting nickel and dimed by AARP to stay alive. Don't believe me, follow me around for a week as I am appointed with them to broker their products but refuse to do so due to the overwhelming feedback when something serious goes wrong with their health.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't speak to their health insurance. But, are you sure it's AARP that's screwing them, or is it the insurance companies. I'm curious to know what companies. The reason I ask is that AARP has nothing to do with insurance placement in Property & Casualty. If I ever have to change from my current health coverage, I don't want to go where you're indicating.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't speak to their health insurance. But, are you sure it's AARP that's screwing them, or is it the insurance companies. I'm curious to know what companies. The reason I ask is that AARP has nothing to do with insurance placement in Property & Casualty. If I ever have to change from my current health coverage, I don't want to go where you're indicating.

Not sure why you are being this hard-headed in displacing the blame? Insurance products are all cookie cutter and mandated by law when it comes to seniors. However, Medicare Advantage employs a forfeiture of your medicare coverage for a cheaper price. AARP actively and aggressively promotes these products. Knowing full well they aren't good for seniors over a large scale as time goes on. There's no integrity in their business practice. Something that is honestly rare in today's world... .but I'm not going to sit here and listen how they are out for the greater good of their members when reality shows otherwise.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hard-headed? I asked you an honest question since you, unlike most, seem to have some understanding of health insurance. I sure don't. I'm not exactly sure why you're dumping on me, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead. I asked you simply if AARP is the culprit or do the companies offering the product shoulder the blame? I can only assume that you think AARP calls the shots and tells the companies what to offer. That would be surprising, but maybe so.

My familiarity is with P&C and I can assure you that AARP is not pushing a shoddy product in The Hartford.

Speaking of Homeowners, if the OP is still around, I'd suggest that you check AARP/Hartford for a quote along with at least 3 others. Keep in mind that most offer discounts when you cover both home and auto. However, it is sometimes difficult to find one company that is competitive in both. To protect yourself insurance-wise, you have to work at it. Sorry you thread went awry.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hard-headed? I asked you an honest question since you, unlike most, seem to have some understanding of health insurance. I sure don't. I'm not exactly sure why you're dumping on me, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead. I asked you simply if AARP is the culprit or do the companies offering the product shoulder the blame? I can only assume that you think AARP calls the shots and tells the companies what to offer. That would be surprising, but maybe so.

Not dumping on you, you're arguing for AARP as if they are innocent. I'm providing facts that they are not. Again, AARP chooses to market products they know are detrimental to seniors in the long run. They then tried to endorse legislation to make sure they were the benefactors when everyone jumped ship should the government slash MA benefits, the same MA they STILL aggressively sell. I expect an insurance company to act like one.... I expect a "non-profit" to act like one as well. AARP is anything but..... wishful thinking I know.

They have also chose to actively endorse Obamacare, in which I don't see how that allowed for any benefit to anyone other than United Healthcare.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to the trouble of collecting all my words in this thread and setting them out so you can see them together. A little context is lost without the other posts in the thread. If you take the trouble to read them, I think you'll find my comments about AARP are far more negative than positive; hardly proclaiming them to be innocent. My point is, and always has been, that AARP (through The Hartford) is generally a very good place to obtain P&C insurance. If you, or anyone else, wants to forego the advantage this can provide, have at it.

Post #15 - If you're over 50 and belong to AARP, you should check out The Hartford.
Post #18 - Membership is peanuts compared to what you're paying for Homeowners insurance. I'm surprised they haven't already sent you something if you're over 50. Be advised, they'll think your house is worth more than you do.
Post #26 - I'd probably be pissed if I had any idea what you were talking about. Are you saying 50 is too old to be on this forum?
Post #28 - Then I guess I won't be pissed. The small AARP membership fee allows access to their insurance program which has been a financial lifesaver for me over a several year period, not to mention the new roof I got last year.
Post #30 - I'm sure they do by now.
Post #33 - I'm 76 next month, so I've been pissed on and pissed off a few times. AARP leadership has consistently shot themselves in the foot over the years. They're usually brought around to a better way of thinking by their membership. The more of us who are members and make our case (which I do often), the more we will influence their actions. I'll guarantee I can do more to affect their thinking by being in the mix than you can by being outside.
Post #39 - I'll back away slowly with this last thought. If you think United Health Care, or Hartford, or any other insurance company owns or controls AARP, you are sadly mistaken. I speak from experience when I tell you that AARP carries the big stick and those companies bend over backward to sell their products through them.
Kinda funny! The same folks who castigate AARP for it's position will finance the Chinese all day long. Which is the bigger threat, I wonder?
Post #41 - Let's get something straight. I'm not a homer for them. I have repeatedly said that I "USE" them for my own purposes. Quite a few years ago, when my then current insurer pulled a "Farm Bureau" on me, I investigated many carriers and found that AARP/Hartford was not only the best I could find coverage-wise, but, at that time, the least expensive. I saved literally nearly $2,000 that first year. Since then, it has vacillated up and down but never has it failed to save me money over the competition on the homeowners/auto combination. I get several quotes every three years. USAA is the only one that has come close during that time, pricewise.
Coverage-wise, Hartford has some of the most broad-ranging perks available in the market-place. If people would take the time to read their policies and ask questions of their agents (many of whom can't answer them), they'd be surprised what they don't have. I worked for The Hartford for 33 years, so I know a little bit about the subject.
Post #44 - With that post, you owe it to me to tell me at least once where I "carried AARP's water".

Post #46 - Can't speak to their health insurance. But, are you sure it's AARP that's screwing them, or is it the insurance companies. I'm curious to know what companies. The reason I ask is that AARP has nothing to do with insurance placement in Property & Casualty. If I ever have to change from my current health coverage, I don't want to go where you're indicating.
Post #48 - Hard-headed? I asked you an honest question since you, unlike most, seem to have some understanding of health insurance. I sure don't. I'm not exactly sure why you're dumping on me, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead. I asked you simply if AARP is the culprit or do the companies offering the product shoulder the blame? I can only assume that you think AARP calls the shots and tells the companies what to offer. That would be surprising, but maybe so.
My familiarity is with P&C and I can assure you that AARP is not pushing a shoddy product in The Hartford.
Speaking of Homeowners, if the OP is still around, I'd suggest that you check AARP/Hartford for a quote along with at least 3 others. Keep in mind that most offer discounts when you cover both home and auto. However, it is sometimes difficult to find one company that is competitive in both. To protect yourself insurance-wise, you have to work at it. Sorry you thread went awry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom