how do deer move in acordance with the wind direction?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOTLDPONY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have done some reading and typically I understand to hunt the wind in your face, as the deer smells what is behind them and can see whats in front of them.

I see that bucks will cross the wind to seek for does.

Now on the sighting I have been seeing this year (just really starting to pay attention) is that this is true most of the time. But I want to know what a deer's day consists of as in when we the "hunters" enter the woods hour or so before daylight what are the deer doing at that time (feeding and browsing I assume?), so we get in our stand wind in the face, and wait for them to come back to bed?

kind of hard to explain what I am looking for i guess... if the wind is blowing from the South and the deer bed in a N/S run, they should go North in morning to feed then come back South to the same bed (with the wind in there face?) or do they go somewhere else to bed...eventually they will have to come back downwind or they would go that direction for days or till the wind changed direction.

So why hunt the wind? if they will go from anywhere any direction anytime.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have several areas where the deer travel South in the morning and North at night. Other areas are reverse. It really depends where the bedding and their food sources are. It will always be different depending on location.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
all I can say it seems more times then not that every place that I would like to hunt the wind is wrong most of the time. I swear sometimes I think deer do this on purpose

A5Sooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have done some reading and typically I understand to hunt the wind in your face, as the deer smells what is behind them and can see whats in front of them.

I see that bucks will cross the wind to seek for does.

Now on the sighting I have been seeing this year (just really starting to pay attention) is that this is true most of the time. But I want to know what a deer's day consists of as in when we the "hunters" enter the woods hour or so before daylight what are the deer doing at that time (feeding and browsing I assume?), so we get in our stand wind in the face, and wait for them to come back to bed?

kind of hard to explain what I am looking for i guess... if the wind is blowing from the South and the deer bed in a N/S run, they should go North in morning to feed then come back South to the same bed (with the wind in there face?) or do they go somewhere else to bed...eventually they will have to come back downwind or they would go that direction for days or till the wind changed direction.

So why hunt the wind? if they will go from anywhere any direction anytime.

I have a similar situation. I have a feeder and stand in a drainage in a string of ponds that run N/S. they generally bed to the south and come to the feeder in the morning to the north. Which is 20yds north of my stand.

I should be hosed any way the wind blows, but have rarely been busted.

Latest posts

Top Bottom