How long does it take to get used to carrying?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good holster and a sturdy belt that holds the weapon in place, and you will get over the fidgeting and checking fairly quickly. I don't think you will or should ever forget you have it on, but, you won't think about it. You will get into habits that keep your weapon clear of obstacles and you will do it without thought. I'm a big guy and I have my .45 on my right hip and my cell phone on my left so armed chairs can easily catch one or the other. But I don't think I have had a conscious thought on it while sitting down in a year or so. And that was a serious issue for me in the first month or two. Clanked the butt of the pistol a lot and snapped 3 phone holsters before I got the hang of it.

If on the other hand, your holster or belt is insufficient to hold the weapon in place, you will be reminder constantly. An extra notch tighter on the belt never hurts.
I agree! The good holster and belt is the next best investment to your gun. If you have a good carry rig, you will get used to it a lot faster. When you start carrying go to Wally World and browse around for a few times and first thing you know, you'll forget you've even got the gun on. :)

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont know exactly how long it took for me. However, If I dont have it... I feel naked, Like someone does if they forget their wallet, or cell phone, keys etc. It is just like getting dressed to me.

Maybe 3-4 months or so for me.

nobuttbrian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
after 8 years together my wife still asks if I'm carrying and me personally never noticed it, in fact I have several to choose from for attire worn.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First things first...Yes Nobuttbrain, your avatar rocks.

Now, back to the OP. It took me a few months. I felt pretty self conscious. The good belt/holster recommendations are true. Buying the right size/type clothing helps a lot with confidence.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a question to those who have been carrying for a while. I just recently got my CCL and have been carrying some. When I do carry, I can't help feeling that everyone is watching me and/or paranoid that someone will spot me. So, how long does it take to get totally comfortable carrying?

It definitely gets easier. Took me about two months to be completely comfy with it. Then when I started carrying a smaller gun (Kahr CW9 replaced HK USPc, both carried in Crossbreed holsters), it became that much easier.

zoomaster1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Carry everyday and everywhere you can. Took me about a week to stop feeling I was breaking every safety rule I was ever taught. Ask your wife/girlfriend if they can see IT. Most people are totally oblivios to those of us who carry. I would also highly recommend that you take some kind of class that teaches more than gun safety. I took an Intermidiate Concealed Carry 1 class at Carry Legal that was 8 hrs of range time learning how to draw from concealment, clear mis-fires while shooting (with snap caps), and accually drawing and pulling the trigger with gun pointed at a LIVE person. That was a real eye opener. Knowing how to use youe gun is more important than knowing you have one.

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Carry everyday and everywhere you can. Took me about a week to stop feeling I was breaking every safety rule I was ever taught. Ask your wife/girlfriend if they can see IT. Most people are totally oblivios to those of us who carry. I would also highly recommend that you take some kind of class that teaches more than gun safety. I took an Intermidiate Concealed Carry 1 class at Carry Legal that was 8 hrs of range time learning how to draw from concealment, clear mis-fires while shooting (with snap caps), and accually drawing and pulling the trigger with gun pointed at a LIVE person. That was a real eye opener. Knowing how to use youe gun is more important than knowing you have one.

Any concealed carry class where you get to test your marksmanship skills on a real live person is my kind of ccl class!

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Couldn't have said it better. But yea as far as getting used to it just takes some time and most importantly effort. yes it feels weird at first but once you find the right holster and belt combo to fit your current style wardrobe it's just one extra thing to do while getting dressed for me.

But in my own experience i started carrying back in january. same month i took the class but i would tote the gun around the house with me all the time and then take it off till my permit came in. regardless what im getting at is i'm just under 5'8" and at the time i weighed 180lbs. Now today at 150lbs all my clothes that were tight i wouldnt even think about leaving the house in regardless i can conceal just as easily as my bigger stuff and plus its easier with my looser pants. Either way may be something to consider as well depending on whatever shape your in. but either way give it a couple weeks and you wont be bothered by it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom