How long does it take to get used to carrying?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
common sense says the smallest, lightest object on person is tolerated easier than a larger heavier object.

340PD with CT slips into front pocket with ease... no one gives it a thought what's in your pockets. it's normal for pockets to bugle out with keys, pocket knives, etc.

biggest drawback to CCW an ultra light like 340PD is it's so comfortable to carry. sometimes you can't tell if it's on you, so you leave home without it.

Roadkill Coyote

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
really getting used to it isn't a simple x amount of time process. You'll go through a few cycles of alternatively getting "used to it" and realizing that you're getting complacent and then being overly conscientious again until you level out with an appropriate level of experience and caution.

nativenightmare

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It took me a few weeks before I was comfortable carrying. I was constantly checking to see if my shirt had ridden up or if i was imprinting. I dont worry about it at all anymore even if i imprint a lil, w ppl carrying cell phones on their belts nobody gives it a second thought.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I remember carrying for my first time, going into a Neighborhood Walmart thinking what a huge responsibility I had taken at that time.

I also remember eating at Ann's Chicken Fry with my wife, brother, and sister-in-law with my M&P40c in side my waste band in a not so great Galco holster the kind that clip over and under the belt (I was having a hard time finding a good holster at that time). I had two Highway Patrol sitting behind me, I must have been weighing heavy that day because I was just waiting for holster to flip out of my waist band and stick out like a sore thumb. It was not a pleasant meal. I have better holsters now.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kind of depends on what you're packing.
A mouse gun (.380) almost never feels like it's there.
A full size 1911 almost always feels like it's there.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kind of depends on what you're packing.
A mouse gun (.380) almost never feels like it's there.
A full size 1911 almost always feels like it's there.

This ... I love my Gold Cup but dang that baby is heavy ... I have swapped it out with GC's new revolver a couple of times but I keep thinking "Oh crap, I forgot my gun" when I carry it. Too light ... It is just easier to carry the Colt now. :D

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It takes a couple months for most people to get used to carrying. After that, you'll feel like you have a target on your back when you're not carrying. Part of conquering the uncomfortable feeling about carrying is getting used to what works best for you. I completely agree that a good gun belt and holster are extremely important. Also, you need to learn how to dress based on the gun you're carrying. In the Winter it's easy....a light jacket over anything and you could probably carry a bazooka without printing. Summer= small. If you're carrying small and are worried about having a gun with less ammo, carry an extra mag. I carry a Walther PPS in the Summer....and I could wear a thong and not print. Good luck.....and relax...most people are completely blind when it comes to picking out folks carrying (unless it's another CC holder...then it's a game to relieve the boredom when shopping with the wife).

Latest posts

Top Bottom