How to cancel your NRA membership

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a lawyer (but I watched one on TV)... it seems to me that hammering out things case by case on the basis of Due Process or P and I, as deemed appropriate by legal staffers may be the only way we will ever define what A2 means in the modern day.

This issue is that with McDonald we have LOST the chance at P and I and are now stuck with Due Process. If McDonald had been incorporated through P and I, then the only thing left for litigation would have been prohibitions that are currently in place. Through Due Process, not only are current infringements subject to litigation, but any infringements that any federal, state, or local government body decides to implement later are also subject to determination by the Supreme Court as to whether it is "reasonable", "rational", "longstanding", or "essential" to furthering the goals of the government.

Right now I am more worried about having a SCOTUS that votes a split over A2 issues as often as they do.

It is not just that they split on the Second Amendment, it is that we only have one Justice (Clarence Thomas) who sees that government has overstepped the bounds laid out in the Constitution and believes that the rulings which have allowed it to do so should be revisited. The other eight believe that taking any power away from government that the Court has previously granted is wrong.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At least you called me "cool!" :thumb:

Just not a big NRA fan, never have been.

And I don't see a restoration of Constitutional law a bad thing, regardless of agenda. BTW, it simply recognizes my rights anyway, it doesn't grant them. I live my life accordingly.

I am not a big NRA fun neither. I really wanted to dump them back when they were becoming more of a sporting club and less of a lobby. The members brought the organization back. The structure of the organization allows for improvement when the members feel like it is needed.
The members are the NRA. Join and have a voice on how it should do its business.
Yes, you are cool.:thumbup3:

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What bothers me the most is that we need the NRA or GOA or any organization at all in the first place.
The constitution is clear enough, nothing to argue.
Too bad it doesn't work that way. I have children and I want to protect their rights, that's the reason I am a member.

p227tacops

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, why would you cancel your NRA membership?

I know this is an old thread, I found it while looking to see if it was possible. But since I found it, I thought I'd answer it and fulfill my promise to the NRA that I'd get the word out about their involvement in supporting something that is a step backward for Kentucky.

The NRA sent this email https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...-carry-legislation-pending-committee-hearings asking for members to support the bill. They are selling this as a "much needed update" to our laws in Ky, and a great way to allow more "law abiding citizens to protect themselves".

But... they intentionally omit the downside. Right now, if I enter a business which has a sign prohibiting weapons, I am in violation of store policy, but it's not a crime. Under HB 531, introduced by 2 democrats and being pushed by the NRA, it now becomes a crime.

1st offense: $50 fine
2nd offense: $100 fine
3rd offense: class B misdemeanor (same as prostitution charge... $250 fine and up to 90days in jail)

When you ask why would the democrats push for constitutional carry, I think under this plan it's obvious: it will be much easier to get businesses to post a sticker in their window than to take guns from people. So if enough businesses sign on to ban weapons from their property, the democrats have essential made concealed carry illegal. Granted, you can hide the weapon and probably won't get caught.. but the point is that you cease to be a "law abiding citizen". What good is owning a gun if it's a crime to bring it with you when you leave your house?!?

I understand there are places with worse laws... but it's a tough pill to swallow knowing the NRA is backing HB 531. If I had to guess why the NRA would so vehemently endorse such an attack on the legality of our right to carry, I can only hypothesize. If HB 531 passes, all those ky residents who can't take the time to go to a permit class will be able to go buy a gun and start concealed carrying it. And when they open the box, they'll get the leaflet from the NRA reminding them to "protect their rights and new purchase by joining the NRA!"

It's a big step backwards, and I feel like they sold us out on this one. If this is the kind of representation you get from the NRA, then it really doesn't matter who gets elected.

That's my answer to the question, "why would you quit the NRA". I hope they don't push this in other states.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is the same situation in OK right now... ignore the signs and carry concealed. How would we feel if the NRA tried to push this here? Would we accept permitless carry if it meant making carrying beyond a sign a crime?

Not me.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, I found it while looking to see if it was possible. But since I found it, I thought I'd answer it and fulfill my promise to the NRA that I'd get the word out about their involvement in supporting something that is a step backward for Kentucky.

The NRA sent this email https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...-carry-legislation-pending-committee-hearings asking for members to support the bill. They are selling this as a "much needed update" to our laws in Ky, and a great way to allow more "law abiding citizens to protect themselves".

But... they intentionally omit the downside. Right now, if I enter a business which has a sign prohibiting weapons, I am in violation of store policy, but it's not a crime. Under HB 531, introduced by 2 democrats and being pushed by the NRA, it now becomes a crime.

1st offense: $50 fine
2nd offense: $100 fine
3rd offense: class B misdemeanor (same as prostitution charge... $250 fine and up to 90days in jail)

When you ask why would the democrats push for constitutional carry, I think under this plan it's obvious: it will be much easier to get businesses to post a sticker in their window than to take guns from people. So if enough businesses sign on to ban weapons from their property, the democrats have essential made concealed carry illegal. Granted, you can hide the weapon and probably won't get caught.. but the point is that you cease to be a "law abiding citizen". What good is owning a gun if it's a crime to bring it with you when you leave your house?!?

I understand there are places with worse laws... but it's a tough pill to swallow knowing the NRA is backing HB 531. If I had to guess why the NRA would so vehemently endorse such an attack on the legality of our right to carry, I can only hypothesize. If HB 531 passes, all those ky residents who can't take the time to go to a permit class will be able to go buy a gun and start concealed carrying it. And when they open the box, they'll get the leaflet from the NRA reminding them to "protect their rights and new purchase by joining the NRA!"

It's a big step backwards, and I feel like they sold us out on this one. If this is the kind of representation you get from the NRA, then it really doesn't matter who gets elected.

That's my answer to the question, "why would you quit the NRA". I hope they don't push this in other states.

what a first post! welcome!

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the same situation in OK right now... ignore the signs and carry concealed. How would we feel if the NRA tried to push this here? Would we accept permitless carry if it meant making carrying beyond a sign a crime?

Not me.

Democrats did introduce similar bill this year but thanks to OK2A - not NRA - it didn't make it out of committee.

Latest posts

Top Bottom