How to fatten a dog up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Sort of better pic. No doubt in my mind he's not happy, but I'm looking out for the little guy. As some one said he's the smallest corgi they have seen I get that a lot but the dogs are known for being portly

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had the same problem with Boris (my pooch). I always free fed him, and he'd eat a mouthful here and there. I ended up just buying him 5 dozen eggs ($5ish) and put one in morning & evening. Did the trick, he gained weight and eats much more regularly.
the eggs will do the trick. Also might switch to a hi energy dog food. I use pro PAC and am highly pleased with the condition of my dogs they work try feeding twice a day and add an egg each feeding. Will also improve the skin and hair coat for a healthier looking dog.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have raised champion blood line terriers and a healthy one is not fat.
The rib cage outline is healthy....This shows an active dog.
Bacon grease ..really!
That would be good for the heart and liver for sure...

My son has a very very active dog that always has a food bowl full..
Runs the fence all day...Thing looks wormy it is so thin...super healthy active Bruce Lee cut up dog.

Unless the dog acts odd i would not worry.

SoonerDVM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm no Vet but you need to get a second opinion. Just from the pic he looks healthy to me. Your guy said he needs to gain as much as 50% more of his current body weight?

This guy has it right. You put that much weight on that dog and you'll have an obese dog.

In a healthy dog, you should be able to feel the spine. You should be able to feel, but not see, the ribs (though in a dog with a thick coat, you often can't see the ribs no matter how skinny they are), and they should have a nice little tuck up in the flanks. They should have a visible waist when viewed from above.

We have so many obese dogs in this country I think we've forgotten what a healthy dog looks like.

If* your vet told you to put 5-10 pounds on your corgi, RUN, don't walk, RUN to another vet for a second opinion.

To answer your action question, though - the safest way to do it would be to switch him to a good quality puppy food. But please don't do that without discussing it with another vet.

*are you sure you didn't decide your dog needed to gain weight? I say this both because that dog looks healthy in that picture and because even if he is underweight and that pic just doesn't show it, 5-10 pounds is WAY too much in a dog that typically weighs 25 pounds. And if THAT'S the thing, if you've looked at a breed standard and decided your dog is underweight because of what it says a corgi should weigh. That's roughly like deciding that a human man should weigh 170 pounds and then trying to fatten up someone who stands 5'2" until he's 170 pounds. It's not a good idea.

And, finally, if your vet really did say that, I can't emphasize this enough, go see another vet. Now.

EDIT: Now that I've seen the other pic - please don't try to put 10 pounds on that dog - oh please. You've got yourself a healthy, active dog. Why would you want to screw that up! Americans are known to be portly, too, but we don't typically encourage healthy ones to get fat!

Latest posts

Top Bottom