I need..er..want a Battlerifle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavedweller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've only got .22 caliber rifles in my inventory, I feel to round it out I need...er...want something in a 7.62 also my only AR is a 11" barreled SBR so I want something that can reach out there a little easier. I heard good and bad about the PTR91, SCAR17 is too much $$$ for what you get, I really like the M1A Scout but hear it's heavy, FAL's seem to have disappeared (should have bought that DSA Para Carbine when I had the chance yrs ago). If you guys had $1500 for a battlerifle, which one would you go with?

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be perfectly honest, you're not going to go wrong with either an M1A (in standard or Scout configuration) or an AR10 (in SR25 pattern) for that kind of money. Both can be utilized at the extreme end of their max effective range just by adding even a decent piece of glass; you will find parts and accessories (mags, triggers, sights, etc., etc.) for them all day long; they will be of comparable weight to most every other 7.62 battle rifle that isn't as mainstream in the American marketplace; and with the AR10 you're already familiar with the operational characteristics of the platform.

If you want to see for yourself on the weight of the Scout Squad let me know. You can check mine out and see if it's what you want.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're wanting something more long range capable, you don't have to go all the way up to 7.62. Do some research on the 6.5 Grendel and the 6.8 SPC, both of which function very well in AR-pattern rifles. Personally, I went with the 6.8 because I found a good deal on one, but they're pretty close in ballistics out at longer ranges, i.e., 600+ yards. There are detractors on both sides, but the fact is, they're both better than the 5.56 long range. As for ammo, I've found the 6.8 SPC to be more available commercially than the 6.5 Grendel, and it runs around or under $1/round for high-quality hunting ammo like Hornady. 6.5 Grendel may be a better cartridge out to 1000 yards, but personally, if I'm looking for 1000+ yard shooter, I'm going .308 or something larger. .375 Cheytac anybody???? :D

Just a thought.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had my M1A for quite a few years now. I can't recommend it enough - I bought the "standard", then dropped it into an Uncle Sam fiberglass surplus stock - and it's taken many a hog, deer, and coyote. I use it at the RunNGuns, and it performs better than I do. I feed it pulled 147 fmj, "rolling my own" most of the time...it feeds and functions well with all the surplus I've tried as well.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had great results with the M1A as well. The only issue is that mounting glass can be a bit of a pain, but they have the best iron sights around. I have been playing with .308 ARs lately, but so far haven't been able to get one to run reliably.

TulsaGeoff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a Sig 716 FDE for around $1550 from preppergunshop.com . Sig also has a $200 rebate on the 716 right now for July. I couldn't pass up on that deal. It is not a match grade rifle but it should be plenty accurate for me and a nice intro into the .308

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice quality FAL's can be found on the FALFILES and are selling right now at the lowest I've seen in several years.
I have a couple you can try out or look at.
I have a DPMS .308/7.62 AR(THANKS FBT!) and it seems to be running real good but have only had it out a couple times.

I say for getting the job done and sex appeal, you can't beat a FAL.

Latest posts

Top Bottom