Idaho professor accidentally shoots himself in the foot in chemistry class

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"I catch my cocked-and-locked 1911s with the safety off frequently, from it rubbing against my body, the CARSEAT or something else.*"

You really shouldn't let junior carry in the car....trigger covered or not:) LOL

Cowboy2000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm done with carrying around pistols in my pocket. A belt holster is only way to go for me. That fumbling around in the pocket is dangerous.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
interesting. I have never had my Sig P238 or my Colt 1911 safety get knocked off by accident and I am a pretty active old man doing a lot of things up down and around every day. Sig is in a thin nylon front pocket holster but the safety is not covered. 1911 does have leather between it and my skin with a couple different holster styles.

Wonder if some peoples detent springs need to be looked at or could replaced with a stronger one on some brands.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pocket carried for quite a while without a holster, and never had any trouble. The key is to not keep other stuff in that pocket. Hell, that goes whether you have a pocket holster or not. I now use one... I figure it adds adds a level of safety and helps conceal the gun better. I can draw pretty fast from it, and can establish a firing grip without anyone being the wiser. I pocket carry a lot more than I use a belt holster, because of my particular need for deep concealment. I have given some thought to trying a tuckable Appendix holster though... pocket carry really limits the size of the gun. I'd like to be able to carry more than a 6 shot 9mm.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
interesting. I have never had my Sig P238 or my Colt 1911 safety get knocked off by accident and I am a pretty active old man doing a lot of things up down and around every day. Sig is in a thin nylon front pocket holster but the safety is not covered. 1911 does have leather between it and my skin with a couple different holster styles.

Wonder if some peoples detent springs need to be looked at or could replaced with a stronger one on some brands.
My 1911 that I have that issue with has an ambi safety... the other, that has a standard safety, I dont recall that problem. I think it gets clicked down sometimes on the outside half of the safety.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 1911 that I have that issue with has an ambi safety... the other, that has a standard safety, I dont recall that problem. I think it gets clicked down sometimes on the outside half of the safety.

Ah, I could see that happening in my environment with an ambi. If I carried anything that had an ambi, I most likely would think of resolving it somehow with replacement parts if their were an earlier single side version or at least having the right side nub ground down. Ambi could be dangerous for me.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ah, I could see that happening in my environment with an ambi. If I carried anything that had an ambi, I most likely would think of resolving it somehow with replacement parts if their were an earlier single side version or at least having the right side nub ground down. Ambi could be dangerous for me.

I understand. Like I said, I've noticed it being off a few times, but of course, it's always in a holster with a covered trigger, so I've never been totally uncomfortable with it. It's an aftermarket ambi, I think, so I could switch it back. I've never tried ripping into my 1911s, though... a little intimidated, perhaps. I have enough trouble with them trying to field-strip and reassemble after cleaning. lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom