is a 9.00 dollar minimum wage the answer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kriket1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One major problem is the lack of good paying job's. Most people working for min wage don't do it because they want to. They do it because. Their is no other choice. Not everyone can be a CEO or a business owner. Their are only so many good jobs to go round. If most of the good manufacturing job didn't get sent overseas we wouldn't have this problem. Also i hate when people say "people need to live within their means" well when their are no descent paying jobs around it's a bit hard. Should i go buy a tent and live in the woods? Even if someone wanted to you could not do it legally, especially with children.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fact: Only about 5% of the workforce works for minimum wage. Who cares if they get a $1.75 bump. Obamacare is going to have a far greater negative impact on the job market and economy on the whole.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/minwage2011.htm

In 2011, 73.9 million American workers age 16 and over were paid at hourly rates, representing 59.1 percent of all wage and salary workers.1 Among those paid by the hour, 1.7 million earned exactly the prevailing Federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. About 2.2 million had wages below the minimum.2 Together, these 3.8 million workers with wages at or below the Federal minimum made up 5.2 percent of all hourly-paid workers.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One major problem is the lack of good paying job's. Most people working for min wage don't do it because they want to.

I would have to disagree based solely on anecdotal evidence based on observations within my industry, attempts to hire employees, and friends who intentionally leave near-minimum wage jobs after a wage increase so they can keep their government subsidies.

There are a lot of "decent paying jobs" around, but you have to have the right skills. My industry is having trouble filling jobs, and in many cases a "competitive" salary in Oklahoma for someone with no professional experience in this industry is $35K-$40K depending on what skills they can demonstrate. That's got you just a few percentage points below Oklahoma's median household income with zero professional experience. By the way, the cost of offshoring in this industry is roughly the same (although you'll get senior level folks who aren't spending a lot of time being trained up, and if they do need training you aren't paying directly for that training).

Just 3.5 short years ago, I was making a salary of $22.5K/yr at a state job (which came out to less than minimum wage some months). Now, I get offers on a regular basis for jobs really close to six figures in Oklahoma, and nearly double that in CA or NY. But I've built this business, pouring several 140+ hour work weeks into it, and I'm not ready to be "bought out" just yet.

My point is find something you love doing that is in demand and pursue it. And be passionate about it.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What will help this country is more jobs that pay ABOVE the minimum wage. You are not supposed to be able to raise a family on MINIMUM WAGE. Minimum wage is for entry level jobs. Dishwashers, floor sweepers and high school kids starting out in the work force. It's a shame that I see job postings for SKILLED JOBS that only pay the minimum wage.

+1

It's amazing to me how some people thing that the minimum wage should be tied directly to the idea of being able to support a family on that single minimum income. But then again... lots of things that happen in this country lately amaze me.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But then again... lots of things that happen in this country lately amaze me.

...LOL. That reminds me of a saying that got me through my last 6 months before military retirement, and is working well to keep me sane out in the 'world'.

Don't be frustrated, be amazed.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...LOL. That reminds me of a saying that got me through my last 6 months before military retirement, and is working well to keep me sane out in the 'world'.

Don't be frustrated, be amazed.

I hear ya.

About the only way I keep sane is that I've significantly lowered my expectation of other people. :)

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Businesses that give a crap about their employees will pay them well. Others such as McDonald's and Wal Mart will not pay above minimum unless forced to do so by the government or the job market.

The solution to many of our woes seems to be that we do not have enough jobs. How do we fix that?

Latest posts

Top Bottom