Is Being “In Shape” Important?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Until the hip replacements, I was 5'11" tall. Since, I'm 5'10. Tomorrow, I get steroid injections in my lower spine so I can bend over and pick stuff up again for awhile without have to rest for 2 or 3 hours for ever 10 minutes I'm bent over. I believe I need to do that a couple more times before he can burn the nerves out again. That usually helps for about 6 months. Some lying bastard once told me that spinal nerves don't grow back or heal. WRONGO!

I actually identify with most of your post but this part especially ... I was 5"4', now I'm "barely" 5"3' according to the doctor's office. And ******* NO ****ING **** about those spinal nerves regenerating. 😰😰😰😰 I'm dealing with raging headaches -- again -- even though it's been a little over 6 months or so since they burned those cervical nerves. Ugh ...

I haven't ever been as low speed, high drag as all you guys. Worked some cattle, bucked some hay, went to the local honkey-tonk and stayed out too late. Took a few bad boys home. Took a few nice guys home. Rode a hog for a while, shot a little USPSA in my 40s. Wound up married to a fairly decent fella. Walked under the wrong tree and to be honest, given the stories I've heard from other people, I'm kinda surprised I'm still here. In all honesty, some days I wish I wasn't.

But ... A girl at work and I have formed a friendship and her kids are rapidly becoming my surrogate family. They call me Aunt Patti. I adore them all. Her and her husband are raising those kids right. For example, the boys (11 and 12) come do yard and garden work for me and I pay them) and her 5 yo daughter brushes Nero. She gets paid for grooming him and keeping him company. 😁

So many people would sit in the truck and play on their phone these days. Not her husband. He was in the middle of everything -- showing the boys how to adjust the lawn mower, how to string and use the weed eater, making sure they did a GOOD job. They, and all the people I meet at the store, who are just like them give me so much hope for the future. Things seem not so bleak when you look around and see that not EVERY millenial and GenX-er is the enemy. A lot of these kids know exactly what's up -- and what they are up against.

Opps ... Sorry for the derail ... Just grateful for what I do still have, I guess ... The Gods do work in mysterious ways.🤷

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to want my family to grow tomatoes over me.

I have now decided I'd prefer my ashes buried under some imported West Tejas caliche and cactus.
Told my kids to spread my ashes on NE 23rd from Harrah to I:35. That way when I see em coming I can turn all the lights green. Been driving that road FOREVER. 😁

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I made a comment regarding this on another post. I see a lot of firearms and self defense trainers who are fat out of shape guys. How important do you consider being in relatively good shape to your ability to defend yourself? Some spend a lot of money on training and equipment but couldn’t run 50 yards without having a serious time catching their breath.
My brother is my height and weighs 360 pounds. He had his 3rd heart attack this week so this is weighing heavy on my mind. He eats like a horse and drinks like a fish with no intention of changing his habits.
I was thinking about most of the trainers I know. They are obese but excellent shots and knowledgeable about self defense. Does being in shape matter?
If you arent fit, what good are you in a fight? Flat range skills are great until anything disrupts those conditions. Strength training, cardio for sprints and distance running… all make weapons handling more efficient and allow the brain to be less cluttered as it processes information. Also teaches people to execute the fundamentals of marksmanship, fighting, or applying med when the body is uncomfortable. Even Larry Vickers being prior SOF-D was fat, and yes he was then and still is a very capable shooter and Im sure still very effective hand to hand if he had to be, but doesnt make it any easier being obese or a twig with no strength. (Larry lost weight after his “Why Im Fat” video). At the same time, you can learn a lot from old fat dudes who can shoot really well. Three things in my view, Im a life long student so I can learn from anyone unless theyre just super sucky…. Second, I may learn from someone who I think is living incorrectly aka obese but I dont have to be obese… and third, dont demand anyone else do what you yourself isnt doing.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Told my kids to spread my ashes on NE 23rd from Harrah to I:35. That way when I see em coming I can turn all the lights green. Been driving that road FOREVER. 😁
I told my kids to scatter my ashes in the parking lot at Walmart. That way, I know for SURE that my wife will visit my grave at least 4 times a week. :rollingla

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm 5'7" 150lbs and I'm fat
yes, being physically active is very important.
just passed 6000 miles on my bike for this year
51F006C1-1EEC-45D7-B7F3-31A3B92D544A.png
449368C7-71BA-403A-BF4E-9AA78D5BE244.png
454C7F6A-6F14-42E0-86BD-52EDAEA02F45.png

Attachments

• E22DE687-B784-4F5B-9910-A6108F5DC956.png
    E22DE687-B784-4F5B-9910-A6108F5DC956.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • B72CAAAF-AB03-42D0-ABF6-80D1C866C858.png
    B72CAAAF-AB03-42D0-ABF6-80D1C866C858.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts