Keurig can stick it where the sun don't shine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We've had one of the original Keurigs since they were first released. Love that coffee maker (I live and die by my coffee). Of course, like most users of the keurig, we discovered that our favorite coffee was not available in single serve K-Cups. No biggie, we bought the reusable filter and now we grind our beans as we need them and make only the coffee we want. No waste, everyone wins. I've been a HUGE fan since day one, but the old Kerig is starting to show signs of failure, it was time for a replacement.

ENTER the Keurid 350 2.0 - pull it out of the box, plop in a well known and likes K-cup from the panty and - nothig. the screen essentially tells me that the K-cup inserted into the machine isn't designed for the machine. Keruig is apparently trying to prevent owners from brewing anything but their official K-Cups (which are stupid expensive and limited.). Those that have a nice collection of K-Cups are in for a surprise when they try to use them in the new machine.

So, first task was to figure out how the machine KNOWS what cup i'm putting in. TUrns out it's based on some sort of special ink, which is read by a sensor in the head. - so, hack the keurig is underway. Right now, we have a piece of a 2.0 K-Cup lid taped over the sensor, now no matter what is up it, the reader thinks it has a 2.0 K-Cup in it. problem solved. A simple reusable filter allows us to enjoy our favorite coffee in our new coffee maker.

A Note to Keurig: This dick-move ensures that this is our last Keurig. There are lots of other single-serve coffee makers to choose from.

michaeld

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The new one has been well advertised as using different pod system. There are hacks online to get around it
I think it's pretty mean to do to people but I'm sure it will make them money

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've had one of the original Keurigs since they were first released. Love that coffee maker (I live and die by my coffee). Of course, like most users of the keurig, we discovered that our favorite coffee was not available in single serve K-Cups. No biggie, we bought the reusable filter and now we grind our beans as we need them and make only the coffee we want. No waste, everyone wins. I've been a HUGE fan since day one, but the old Kerig is starting to show signs of failure, it was time for a replacement.

ENTER the Keurid 350 2.0 - pull it out of the box, plop in a well known and likes K-cup from the panty and - nothig. the screen essentially tells me that the K-cup inserted into the machine isn't designed for the machine. Keruig is apparently trying to prevent owners from brewing anything but their official K-Cups (which are stupid expensive and limited.). Those that have a nice collection of K-Cups are in for a surprise when they try to use them in the new machine.

So, first task was to figure out how the machine KNOWS what cup i'm putting in. TUrns out it's based on some sort of special ink, which is read by a sensor in the head. - so, hack the keurig is underway. Right now, we have a piece of a 2.0 K-Cup lid taped over the sensor, now no matter what is up it, the reader thinks it has a 2.0 K-Cup in it. problem solved. A simple reusable filter allows us to enjoy our favorite coffee in our new coffee maker.

A Note to Keurig: This dick-move ensures that this is our last Keurig. There are lots of other single-serve coffee makers to choose from.

Yeah we still have a couple of the old ones and love it! We use some cups and some of our own grinder coffee like you describe, and that grey pod we put our fresh grinds in is keurig branded from when we first bought it so they used to be ok with it so I guess they had a change of heart. After hearing this on the news I have looked up the hacks and stuff but in case we ever need to get a2.0, ours now are working fine though so no need to change now anyway. May switch to something else anyway out of spite, that's really a dick move by them. I can see it for other k cups but to not allow you to use your own grinds is ridiculous, that's the only reason I let my wife talk me into keurig was that I could use. Y own grinds still, oh we'll enjoy our 1.0 for a while longer.

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've been using Senseo coffee machines since they first came out but walmart recently quit stocking the coffee pods for it. I bought some off their online site and and also a refillable pod. Still have some experimenting to do with different grinds for that before I can claim success there.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love the hack! Screw manufacturers who screw us. My favorite is the 4967 different cell phone charger cords..... An iPhone cord is an iPhone cord, right????

Latest posts

Top Bottom