Let's see them doggies!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We found out this week that our fur baby is now diabetic! So, insulin twice a day from now on.

View attachment 444739

UPDATE: Things went south pretty quick. Cliff's Note version: Diabetes turned to Diabetic Ketoacidosis. We were at the vet four times in ten days. We took her back in late Saturday morning and found out it was definitely DKA. We had to leave her for IV fluids to flush the ketones out of her system. We hadn't even had time to determine if the insulin dose we were giving her was appropriate. Anyway, they got her flushed out and back to eating (she had lost a total of 13 pounds since October). She came home this afternoon. We're praying that the DKA will not re-surface, and that the problem is not actually an underlying problem with her kidneys. Prayers, if you will.

Don

athenahome.jpg

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
UPDATE: Things went south pretty quick. Cliff's Note version: Diabetes turned to Diabetic Ketoacidosis. We were at the vet four times in ten days. We took her back in late Saturday morning and found out it was definitely DKA. We had to leave her for IV fluids to flush the ketones out of her system. We hadn't even had time to determine if the insulin dose we were giving her was appropriate. Anyway, they got her flushed out and back to eating (she had lost a total of 13 pounds since October). She came home this afternoon. We're praying that the DKA will not re-surface, and that the problem is not actually an underlying problem with her kidneys. Prayers, if you will.

Don

View attachment 447255

Regrettably, we had to put her down yesterday. There was an underlying problem with kidneys (most likely) or something else. She just kept going downhill. Would not eat. I mean nothing. We tried everything imagineable. We decided she had suffered enough. Last night was damn tough, and it's gonna' stay rough for a good while yet. We'd had her for thirteen years as of last August. The wife said she was my kind of girl. She loved to ride in my truck. Gonna' miss her something awful, but we've already decided there won't be any more animals. Prayers appreciated.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Regrettably, we had to put her down yesterday. There was an underlying problem with kidneys (most likely) or something else. She just kept going downhill. Would not eat. I mean nothing. We tried everything imagineable. We decided she had suffered enough. Last night was damn tough, and it's gonna' stay rough for a good while yet. We'd had her for thirteen years as of last August. The wife said she was my kind of girl. She loved to ride in my truck. Gonna' miss her something awful, but we've already decided there won't be any more animals. Prayers appreciated.
Dang it Don this isn’t what I wanted to see this afternoon, and y’all can count on my prayers.
I try to never tell someone what to do, because I’m not in your shoes and don’t really know the situation. However, my in-laws have a geriatric dog and are trying to decide if they’ll get another one when his time comes, and I’ll tell you the same thing I’ve told them. As much as you seem to enjoy having a dog, I think it would be a mistake to make the decision to not get another one this soon. Take some time to grieve before making what I view as a very important decision.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is something uniquely different about losing animals. Especially if they may be suffering.
They can't communicate and have no understanding of whats going on which weighs on the master.
Not to say a human illness is not tragic, but animals......well you know if you have them. My wife wants a lap dog since I have a lap cat. But I don't want to see her lose it. Plus taking time away from the house is difficult where the cat is good for a few days on it's own. But I do love good doggies. So many to chose from. Prayers to those caring for their favorite pets.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@retrieverman @Waltercat - thanks, gentlemen. You're right, Jeff. It's a big decision, and we might always change our minds. They are just too damn hard to give up. And, since we are retired, when we travel we have to make arrangements for any pets we might have if we cannot take them with us. I really don't see us getting any more animals, but I suppose I might have to eat those words. And, you're right, WC, it's awfully hard when they can't tell you what's wrong ... what hurts, how they feel, what they want. If she could have talked, maybe we could have figured out the cure. As it was, we ran test after test, and couldn't pinpoint the problem. She kept getting weaker regardless of our best efforts. We finally decided we couldn't let her suffer any longer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom