My new love

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill of Rights

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The White Stripes are among a few bands whose music convinced me to become interested in music with guitars again after a decade or so of absolute refusal to listen to anything guitar driven. I was so sick by the end of the 90's of guitar/guitar/bass/drums music that I just couldn't stomach any more of it. I think some of the unrefined nature of the percussion is probably what caught my attention. To me, music is like any art--it's good if it's a genuine expression of something genuinely felt by the artist and genuinely understood by the listener/viewer. And White Stripes are great at that, regardless of technical ability or lack of.

There are plenty of technical wizards playing boring music.

And "Get Behind Me Satan" is probably the best name for an album ever!

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
she is self-taught, but her simplicity only focused more attention on Jack's guitar playing. You say she's the worst drummer. How? She can keep a beat. What else do you need?

Something more than a human metronome. A little complexity, something to add to the music besides a generic bass/snare beat that just keeps time. And barely at that. Furthermore, I'll argue that if he had a guy drummer who was that terrible, no one would defend him. Since Meg White is attractive, she gets all sorts of people praising her, as if women can't drum and she is an exception. Which is wrong.

BTW I don't like hick bands either.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw him at Austin City Limits last year and he played with like 3 different bands. I don't care for him all that much but the other half likes him quite a bit.

de-evoproject

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dig the White Stripes and all his other bands. My girlfriends is a way bigger fan than me tho. I pick and choose songs i like between the White Stripes, Racontuers and the Dead Weather.

And really its hard to judge whether Meg was any good or not since they kept the drums so simple. She definitely had a good rythmn but seems she was more there for the face and to share in something with her husband than to be a "drummer". Not saying thats a bad thing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom