My Two new Rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Started installing the UltimAK for the AMD-65 today and I am having to trial and error fit it with the lower handguard, no biggie just time consuming. I will post pics when everything is done with it.

Last edited:

jduff8505

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ouch!! I just picked up an IO AK recently. Had no idea there were such issues. Time to do a complete tear down I guess. Oh and of course I have purchased two Pro mags. I sure know how to pick 'em.

Jeff

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's an AK so should be able to clean the crap out of it and go from there. Fingers crossed.

Jeff

Yeah the rivets shouldn't affect the rifle. But the rivets should be inspected every 500-1000 rounds just to make sure they aren't pulling apart, or that the receiver isn't ballooning out. I've seen some AKs that look like absolute **** with some really crap rivets, yet they still go bag every time. I'm amazed by the some of the pictures of the captured AKs from Afghanistan or Iraq. Those things are ROUGH, the AK is an amazing platform!

JTA

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Started installing the UltimAK for the AMD-65 today and I am having to trial and error fit it with the lower handguard, no biggie just time consuming. I will post pics when everything is done with it.

On the Ultimak website, they mention that the lower hand guards of the AMD-65 will need to be modified in order for the optic mount to fit properly. The company says it is an easy modification, but I have never tried it. Please let us know how it goes, and what from your experience works best for getting the Ultimak to fit on an AMD-65.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the Ultimak website, they mention that the lower hand guards of the AMD-65 will need to be modified in order for the optic mount to fit properly. The company says it is an easy modification, but I have never tried it. Please let us know how it goes, and what from your experience works best for getting the Ultimak to fit on an AMD-65.

I got it on today and honestly it's not an easy task, I figured I could shave down the lower handguard a little to make it work. Wrong. I ended up having to figure out where the two straps are hitting on the lower handguard, mark it, and then use the dremel to cut out notches to let it slide over the straps. Even then it was still a pain and I scrapped a fair amount of paint off of the straps and the handguard in the process of doing it. Also with the UltimAK installed I cannot close the lever that holds the lower handguard in place.

Now as far as the UltimAK goes, it is freaking awesome despite all of the headache I had trying to get it mounted, it holds super tight to the barrel, but be careful where you have it mounted because if its too far aft it will jam up the gas piston. I kept having an issue with the piston getting stuck and I couldn't cock the rifle, then I looked at it and it had slid all the way back. They say in the instructions to try and float it as close to the middle as you can, now mine is as close to middle as I could get it and it works better. Now I am just waiting on my Vortex Strikefire to get here.

Not sure how well these let you see what I had to do but they are the best I have cause I am not pulling it back apart.

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
i1105.photobucket.com_albums_h351_Travis_Cummings_ECCA588C_41044e08cf8ed9c6a7c40fdb1e23f23ff41.jpg

i1105.photobucket.com_albums_h351_Travis_Cummings_B05C978C_75F622927b5664292516bef81a180eaa394.jpg

OK I pulled it off so I could flip the lever for the lower handguard and get some pics for you guys. They aren't great pics but I am sure you will get the idea.

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom