Neighbor issue. Chicken coop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with those that say find the property lines. Find those stakes with a metal detector before you say anything to the neighbor and if you can't find the property line/stakes, you may have to hire a surveyor to come out and mark off the property. No need to make the neighbor mad before you're sure you are in the right. Those stakes are there somewhere but you have to find them and if you can't the surveyor can.

So there are seriously metal stakes in the ground on people's property lines? I never heard this...

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup. Most of em I've had to locate are 6" to a foot under the surface.

I think they are supposed to be 18-24” long and 1/2” or 5/8” in diameter, and buried with the top between 3 and 12 inches deep...
I have had to find mine at 2 different houses.
I hired a surveyor the first time($150.00) and when I saw what he did, I borrowed a metal detector the next time. Because of these 2 experiences, when we bought our current property, (5 acres) I made it part of the contract that a surveyor would mark the pins. After he marked them I drove 6’6” T-posts in place immediately beside the markers. My neighbor on the south used those posts to place their fence for their horses.
Find the pins and it will make your life and relationship with your neighbor easier and better.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, Shoot Well, Leave the rest to God.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup. Most of em I've had to locate are 6" to a foot under the surface.

There were no stakes in my ~30 year old neighborhood, till a rich guy bought the property that abuts several of our backyards. He had a pin survey done a couple years ago, at which time the survey crew drove in the stakes.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll take my tape and riflescope over gps any day. I worked on a place a few years ago where we were chopping a section of ground into 40ac traps with a mile long 24' feed road going down the middle. Owner hired a surveyor to mark things out with a gps. I fixed all his mistakes with my 300' tape and a scoped rifle. It was kinda funny the look on folks faces as they were driving by when I was standing in a ditch with a rifle laid on top of a fence post "shooting" the straight line for posts a half mile away.

Latest posts

Top Bottom