OHP pay

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And in your opinion what should they be paid? What kind of retirement or benefits are you working toward for your retirement?

As far as retirement. Same as the private sector. 401K or the like with matching. Any problems with this?

As far as pay goes. I don't have any hard numbers but I have seen many times where a LEO, in smaller cities/towns are paid poorly for what they do. $40-$50k is what I would consider poor pay for any LEO.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as retirement. Same as the private sector. 401K or the like with matching. Any problems with this?

As far as pay goes. I don't have any hard numbers but I have seen many times where a LEO, in smaller cities/towns are paid poorly for what they do. $40-$50k is what I would consider poor pay for any LEO.

Here is the current pay scale for OHP ...

http://www.dps.state.ok.us/ohp/tngrct/ohpweb/pdfs/OHPWebSalary.pdf

Salary for Oklahoma Cadet Highway Patrolman to Highway Patrol Officer
Cadet Highway Patrolman (16 weeks in academy) $33,192.00/year $2,766.00/month
Probationary Highway Patrolman (after academy through probation period) $35,514.00/year $2,959.50/month plus $100.00/month uniform allowance

Highway Patrol Officer Step 1 $38,000.00/year $3166.66/month (plus $50.00/month shift differential and $150.00/month uniform allowance)
Oklahoma Highway Patrol Officers are on a 7 step pay increase (1 step per year of service to a maximum of 7 years or 7 steps)

Step 1 $38,000.00 (1st year)
Step 2 $40,660.00 (2nd year)
Step 3 $43,506.00 (3rd year)
Step 4 $46,552.00 (4th year)
Step 5 $49,810.00 (5th year)
Step 6 $53,298.00 (6th year)
Step 7 $57,028.00 (7th year)

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Boy, i'd sure like to see what your adjective would be for those smaller town LEO's when they get 50% of your Poor Figure..........and that isn't just first year pay. Always comes down to money based on priorities (e.g. media driven public image) and politics. Naturally, all in my personal opinion.

delete.........better muzzle my opin.

I have a ton of respect for those that do it out of a true desire to be a sheep dog.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Both the retirement plan and pay scale mentioned above aren't all that bad compared to society as a whole. Having said that, I wouldn't do it for twice that.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Veggie awhile back when I was working out your way, I stopped in Minco and saw a Minco cop in the convenience store that I just felt sorry for. His uniform wasn't full of holes but had clearly been laundered about 500 times too many, his duty belt looked the same, his Mod 65 revolver looked the same and his patrol car looked like it would never pass inspections when we had them. It was actually sad to think he got up every day and had to head to work like that.

Also a few years back a Trooper's starting pay right out of academy qualified him/her for food stamps. No lie. One thing is for certain, nobody goes to the OHP for the money.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing is for certain, nobody goes to the OHP for the money.

Truth there. I remember when I was going down the OHP route that an OCPD cadet made more than a 1st or 2nd year trooper or something to that effect.

It's gotta be a calling, not a job. (I ended up not taking that path and am still looking for that calling, lol)

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Truth there. I remember when I was going down the OHP route that an OCPD cadet made more than a 1st or 2nd year trooper or something to that effect.

It's gotta be a calling, not a job. (I ended up not taking that path and am still looking for that calling, lol)

Exactly, this must have been farther back than when you were looking, because OCPD at that time was paying a seriously good bit more than OHP. Enough to make one wonder why OHP even had any applicants.

Latest posts

Top Bottom