OHP shooting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TenBears

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the story I posted, that seems awfully high. Twice the rate of the previous decade?

Both shootings come at a time of intense national scrutiny over shootings involving law enforcement officials. A recent investigation by The Washington Post found that police have killed at least 385 people across the country so far in 2015. The rate of 2.6 fatal police shootings per day is twice the rate tallied by the federal government over the past decade.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Every news article that I read has OHP Captain Timmons saying "As they were exiting the water, coming towards the troopers, a confrontation occurred and one of the troopers was actually assaulted."

The use of "actually," seems odd to me.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a nephew that's working on his second degree and wants to be a cop next year when he graduates. I worry about him for these same reasons and really wonder what's causing it to come off the rails. I worry because he a great kid, has his head screwed on right and I fear that it'll get cross threaded down the road. Is it a perfect storm of Obama/Sharpton antics and too many military folks getting out and joining the force and some other factors? I dunno but I agree COMPLETELY with you that it seems to be a recent transformation.

I talked to GC ... He's gonna get in touch with you.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've only had one occasion to meet an OHP officer, and it was for speeding in 1995. I WAS guilty, and he let me off with a verbal warning.

That being said, IF the officers were justified in using deadly force, they should have no problem assisting the family of the dead man in any way possible to understand exactly what occurred that led to the killing.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone think that all of the talk of these police shootings in the media creates a somewhat artificial distrust that in turn makes people respond more aggressively than they normally would to police? People are manipulated by the media more often than not in my opinion. I do think this was a bad shooting but I'm talking about in general.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone think that all of the talk of these police shootings in the media creates a somewhat artificial distrust that in turn makes people respond more aggressively than they normally would to police? People are manipulated by the media more often than not in my opinion. I do think this was a bad shooting but I'm talking about in general.

Or, it could also be that this has actually been an issue for a long time and that cell phone videos and other types of coverage are now drawing more attention to the issue.

While i don't wholly disagree with you, i think the media is an easy scapegoat for the true issues of system disfunction that has existed for a while.

LEOs are not the disease, but a system of a system that is in need of reform

(and that certainly isn't to say that the media isn't taking a story and running with it. I'm just not sure that the causation starts with the media in this instance)

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or, it could also be that this has actually been an issue for a long time and that cell phone videos and other types of coverage are now drawing more attention to the issue.

While i don't wholly disagree with you, i think the media is an easy scapegoat for the true issues of system disfunction that has existed for a while.

LEOs are not the disease, but a system of a system that is in need of reform

(and that certainly isn't to say that the media isn't taking a story and running with it. I'm just not sure that the causation starts with the media in this instance)

Yeah, I can agree with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom