oklahoma Law Maker introduces 4 new Gun Bills

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several days ago, I started a thread about the upcoming Legislative session and possible firearm freedom bills that may be introduced or brought back from failure in the 2015-16 session. It's in the "Law and Order Forum" and included a mention of this development, as reported in The Oklahoman.

OK Legislature 2017: What gun freedom proposals are coming?

Drop in sometime or post an article about what your local legislators may be doing...

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i like the idea of cutting the cost of a handgun permit, but the idea that legislators should get special privileges over the average CCW joe rubs me the wrong way. Laws should be applied equally to everyone, and not just grant privileges to elected officials.

That said, I'd rather there not be any infringing laws that make it necessary to get a permit to bear our arms.

Woody

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only one I sort of like is letting private schools contract for armed leos like public schools do...but what's stopping those private schools from hiring armed security now? Why does it have to be a cop?

I believe private schools can already choose to allow their staff to carry guns on campus, so I can't imagine any problem with hiring armed security.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That said, I'd rather there not be any infringing laws that make it necessary to get a permit to bear our arms.

Woody

I think a permit to carry in urban areas is reasonable, but if you live outside OKC or Tulsa i don't think a permit should be necessary. I am not inherently opposed to permitting, as long as it is cheap and easy.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's what the founders would have wanted

I am a strong believer in original intent. However, even in the time of the founding fathers, firearms were not permitted within city limits. I believe reasonable regulation is fine, i just don't trust the liberals in our country with deciding what 'reasonable' ultimately means. I think it's reasonable to license concealed weapons holders to make sure that they are not felons, fugitives from justice, have violent criminal histories, are American citizens etc.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Firearms weren't permitted in city limits during the Colonial/Revolutionary period?

Where'd that nugget come from (you made it up)? Did anyone tell the Minutemen?

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Firearms weren't permitted in city limits during the Colonial/Revolutionary period?

Where'd that nugget come from? Did anyone tell the Minutemen?

They were permitted, but not to be carried or loaded within city limits. I think it's also important to note that the vast majority of people in the 18th century did not live in urban areas. nor were they as built up and dense as they are today.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They were permitted, but not to be carried or loaded within city limits. I think it's also important to note that the vast majority of people in the 18th century did not live in urban areas. nor were they as built up and dense as they are today.

That is an absolute fabrication that I challenge you to prove.

There was no en masse prohibition against the carrying of firearms in "city limits" during our founders' time.

You may find isolated examples and they were probably imposed by the British.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think a permit to carry in urban areas is reasonable, but if you live outside OKC or Tulsa i don't think a permit should be necessary. I am not inherently opposed to permitting, as long as it is cheap and easy.

Perhaps you'd be more comfortable in say....Denver CO, where they have special laws on guns that apply just there?

Latest posts

Top Bottom