OMG guys ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Although I do have to say the guys here working were less than impressed when they realized that 4 foot by 25 foot section they cut out of the pad in the back has rebar thru it every 6 inches. BOTH ways ... 😳🫣😬 They just THOUGHT they were gonna bust it up with a hammer and haul it off.
I worked on a job in which a bank was being built. I thought they would never get finished pouring the floor. 3 levels of 8" pours, each level had criss-crossed rebar every 4". More rebar attaching the levels of pours.
Them boys installing rebar had their work cut out for them.

The floor where the vault was to be was even thicker, with more rebar. It would take some doing to go in from underneath.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's exactly what I'm doing as soon as mom can't cook anymore and that day isn't far off. She's been cooking on electric for over 50 years and the thought of her using a gas range is quite simply terrifying!

:yikes2: :hellno:

It'll be a simple matter for a plumber to run a couple of gas lines as the one for the hot water tank is real close by to splice into. My pressure canner and all my cast iron will work also much better. Well everything really... :thumb:

Well, if you don't already have somebody in mind, these guys have been extremely easy to work with, accurate with their pricing (no crazy overruns like the first guy), and basically the exact opposite of every bad stereotype you can come up with regarding contractors and subcontractors in general.

W&B Remodeling and Construction
405-432-3954 (Michael)

They do both commercial and residential work. Full disclosure: I met Paul when I was working at the grocery store. Imagine my surprise when I learned that they were ALSO neighbors. Literally. Lol

After my last experience, to say I was a hard sell would be an understatement. To their credit, both Paul and Michael have kept me informed (of both the good and the bad), their estimates have been on the mark (and they've come and spoken to me BEFORE doing anything outside the realm of what we've discussed). I've been tickled pink with how things have gone.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heck, may as well dig deeper and build a bomb shelter, filtered air, food for 5 years, water recycling, RTG (radioisotope thermal generator.) Put a steel hatch over it and your good to go!

Sorry about the expense...

Food for 10 years and y'all would all be dead of old age when I came back up for resupply. 😉😂

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought at first it was a final resting place for A dear family member. Whew!
That Gurl, did you ever thing of letting them cut a small hole in a closet for a floor safe while they were cutting?
I've thought about that often, cut a hole, drop the safe in it and pour concrete around the safe to hold it in, cover with a rug and viola! A new hiding place for all your wealth!

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought at first it was a final resting place for A dear family member. Whew!
That Gurl, did you ever thing of letting them cut a small hole in a closet for a floor safe while they were cutting?
I've thought about that often, cut a hole, drop the safe in it and pour concrete around the safe to hold it in, cover with a rug and viola! A new hiding place for all your wealth!
No I have not ... but ... Paul is coming over in the morning. I think we might need to talk. Lol ... But I didn't have much wealth to start with. And this remodel is "fixing" that "problem". 😉😂 Thank you for the idea!!

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jeez Louise guys. We haven't even started on the kitchen (except to tear a huge hole in the ceiling to see what we could see??? I dunno. But Paul and Michael sounded like they knew what they were talking about and Steve (the electrician) was pleased with what they found so I'm hoping that's all good news. 😬😁😂😂

I'm not gonna lie -- I'm exhausted. But it'll be beautiful (and a lot more comfortable ... And safer for old folks) when it's done.

Wish I could afford to just move into a place with room and maid service while someone stayed around and took care of the dirty work. 🤔 In my next life maybe. 🤷

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. Basically flipping the dining room and kitchen so the front is an open floor plan-type concept, instead of the itty-bitty t-tiny rooms and closet-sized entryway we have now.

I learned something else today. According to the woman living behind us, the old man who built this house was a concrete engineer. Which makes sense now. 😂😂😂

Although I do have to say the guys here working were less than impressed when they realized that 4 foot by 25 foot section they cut out of the pad in the back has rebar thru it every 6 inches. BOTH ways ... 😳🫣😬 They just THOUGHT they were gonna bust it up with a hammer and haul it off. 🤦🤦
What is it with wimminz and their damned open floor plans?

Sheesh!

I hate the clatter and banking of the kitchen when I'm out to a restaurant, why would I enjoy it in my home? Just because some asshloe in a frikkin magazine in the 80's came up with the concept, wimminz have gone ga ga over the pictures. I have been in homes with open floor plans and you can see the clutter and hear everything you don't want to hear and see everything you don't want to see.

These damn designers do not think like normal people. Just look at any women's magazine and you will see a fireplace as the "focal point" of any living room with a chair parked next to a window with a drape slung over it or in a comfy corner for a "reading nook". Ever sit in a room by yourself with the fireplace as the focal point? BORING!

They also remove the ceiling fans from bedrooms because they don't like the lighting not even thinking about the comfort of the people using it.

I fell down and it took me three years of hella lot of agony to get back to work. Work comp paid and SHE got a new house which was "everything she had ever wanted" in a home but immediately has to frikkin paint and plan for a remodel.

I says again SHEESH!

1713310111282.png

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Sheesh!

I hate the clatter and banking of the kitchen when I'm out to a restaurant, why would I enjoy it in my home? Just because some asshloe in a frikkin magazine in the 80's came up with the concept, wimminz have gone ga ga over the pictures. I have been in homes with open floor plans and you can see the clutter and hear everything you don't want to hear and see everything you don't want to see.

These damn designers do not think like normal people. Just look at any women's magazine and you will see a fireplace as the "focal point" of any living room with a chair parked next to a window with a drape slung over it or in a comfy corner for a "reading nook". Ever sit in a room by yourself with the fireplace as the focal point? BORING!

They also remove the ceiling fans from bedrooms because they don't like the lighting not even thinking about the comfort of the people using it.

I fell down and it took me three years of hella lot of agony to get back to work. Work comp paid and SHE got a new house which was "everything she had ever wanted" in a home but immediately has to frikkin paint and plan for a remodel.

I says again SHEESH!

View attachment 471045
Nah ... I kinda like the ceiling fan in the bedroom..🤷

This house is chopped up into an entryway only one person can stand in -- God help you if you have dogs. Or want to actually let anyone inside the house who is bigger than a 7 year old kid.), a kitchen 2 people can't pass each other in, a "dining room" that was an afterthought (much like the front porch. OH ****!! WE NEED TO PUT A FRONT DOOR IN THIS THING!") and a living room there is no way to get through except on front of the TV.

I didn't buy this place because I liked the floor plan. I bought it because I bought into equity when I signed on the dotted line, it is structurally sound and I was living in a 1 bedroom apartment with 3 teenage boys, a guinea pig and a parakeet and everything I owned in boxes because the closing fell through on the first house I "bought".

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Sheesh!

I says again SHEESH!

View attachment 471045

Well, if you don't like open floor plans, don't ever buy an RV.

Latest posts

Top Bottom