Open carry weapons, holsters & license display!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, with open carry just over 100 days away and counting down.. anyone got pics of their open carry rigs-- Holster & Weapon, that they plan to use?

Also, in the initial days of open carry... people open carrying may have to show their license a number of times to your local LEO's before they remember who you are and stop asking to see your license.

When ever I do open carry, in order to save time & effort from having to dig out my wallet and remove my weapons license and driver's license from their covers-- then put them back again.. I think I'll go with what is in the picture below. It is a tuff American Tourister Jelly ID tag for luggage.. available at Walmart in a 2 pack for $5. It is extremely tuff material and would take a very hard pull to break it from the thumb latch that I have it on. [Thumb latch was $2 in the automotive department by the key machine.]

I already have a state issued ID card.. so I'll put it and my weapons license in this jelly tag and wear it on my belt key clip near my weapon. If some LEO wants to see my license.. all I have to do is reach down and unsnap it. Then with the thumb latch it is simple to remove the ID's from the tag. Takes all of about 5 seconds to show a LEO / :police2: your licenses. I can do that a dozen times a day and not be out any real effort.

You have to hold the green tag approx. 10" from your eyes in order to be able to read the license info through the material so no one standing near you would be likely to ever get any private info from your ID cards. I know some people might be worried about someone grabbing their ID and running.. but this is some pretty tuff material and I don't think it would be hard to stop someone from grabbing it and running. If you are not gonna let anyone get close to your weapon.. they won't get close to your ID located beside the weapon.

And if any member of the general public or a business owner were to ever ask me if I had a weapons license out of a safety concern.. all I would have to do is point down at the license. I think most people would just assume that was what is was to start with.

One of these jelly tags would also work well with a break-away ID lanyard that fits around your neck. Walmart has some good ones in their jewlery department that has a quick release thumb latch to easily separate the ID from the lanyard.. they cost $5. If the LEO's are gonna be asking for your ID.. you might as well make it easy on yourself. If they see they can't harass you by making you dig for your ID over & over again.. I think they will soon tire of the license checks.

View attachment 22581

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the LEO's are gonna be asking for your ID.. you might as well make it easy on yourself. If they see they can't harass you by making you dig for your ID over & over again.. I think they will soon tire of the license checks.

First of all, I appreciate your idea on how to tote your credentials. :thumb::thumb:

However, we cops don't get some kind of pervese sensation from checking ID cards. :rubhands: It's just something that has to be done.

Secondly, it's not that we get "tired" of checking a person's ID. Why would you think that eventually we would get tired of asking for a person's SDA card? It's not like digging a ditch or something. It's a job we have to do and you have to comply with.

If you wear a weapon in the open, we're gonna ask for an SDA card. Period. It's just that simple

It is the law of the land.

So let it be written...so let it be done.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First of all, I appreciate your idea on how to tote your credentials. :thumb::thumb:

However, we cops don't get some kind of pervese sensation from checking ID cards. :rubhands: It's just something that has to be done.

Secondly, it's not that we get "tired" of checking a person's ID. Why would you think that eventually we would get tired of asking for a person's SDA card? It's not like digging a ditch or something. It's a job we have to do and you have to comply with.

If you wear a weapon in the open, we're gonna ask for an SDA card. Period. It's just that simple

It is the law of the land.

So let it be written...so let it be done.

No reflection on you or the majority of LEO's. But I think someone in a earlier thread posted a link to a news video where their local Chief of Police or Sheriff had said in a interview something to the effect that his men would be checking & rechecking people. Sounded a lot like maybe the same officer 15 minutes later in the same store or several officers tag teaming someone open carrying. He came across as that it was gong to be a form of harassment to discourage open carry in his area. Certainly not all Police are over bearing.. but with the number of LEO's who were in the news being flat-out against Open carry.. I wouldn't be surprised at some initial harassment from a few.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The law of the land requires you to check permits of any and all persons carrying an open firearm?

Yes. If you are in public OPEN CARRYING an iron on your hip, expect to be ID'd.

No reflection on you or the majority of LEO's. But I think someone in a earlier thread posted a link to a news video where their local Chief of Police or Sheriff had said in a interview something to the effect that his men would be checking & rechecking people. Sounded a lot like maybe the same officer 15 minutes later in the same store or several officers tag teaming someone open carrying. He came across as that it was gong to be a form of harassment to discourage open carry in his area. Certainly not all Police are over bearing.. but with the number of LEO's who were in the news being flat-out against Open carry.. I wouldn't be surprised at some initial harassment from a few.

That's where a lot of members here have it all wrong. They think all cops are against open carry. I for one AM NOT AGAINST OPEN CARRY. I just don't see it as a good idea for me. If a guy wants to open carry AND HE HAS THE PROPER CREDENTIALS then so be it. But yes, he can expect the police to ID him everytime they spot the weapon or whenever it is reported by Joe Citizen.

We don't get off on checking IDs no more than a dozer operator gets a boner for pushing over trees or paving a road. It's just a job. If I check your ID and you got everything in order, I'll remember you. I ain't gonna check you again if I see you an hour later. That's just silly. :rolleyes2

billet93

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my first concern would be having to reach towards or anywhere near my weapon with my hand to retrieve my CCL when approached by an officer. I am personally not going to open carry often, but when I do, I will leave my license in my money clip as normal in my left front pocket as I'm right handed... IMO if I were a LEO and someone reaches towards their weapon as I approach, I would go on alert

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my first concern would be having to reach towards or anywhere near my weapon with my hand to retrieve my CCL when approached by an officer. I am personally not going to open carry often, but when I do, I will leave my license in my money clip as normal in my left front pocket as I'm right handed... IMO if I were a LEO and someone reaches towards their weapon as I approach, I would go on alert

Nah...not so much. :disappoin Common body language and verbal conflict will snitch him off if he's gonna go postal when asked for his ID. I don't see too many folks OCing if they don't have the proper credentials anyway. What is the old saying...an armed society is a polite society? Oh sure, we may get a few good ol' boys that aren't aware that they need an SDA card to OC, but those will be few and far between. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I really wish everybody would calm down and don't fret this. If you get ID'd, what's the big deal? Do you go off on the bartender who asks for an ID? What about the guy who collects your ticket at sporting events? No difference...we're all just doing our job.

C

Clay

Yes. If you are in public OPEN CARRYING an iron on your hip, expect to be ID'd.

That's where a lot of members here have it all wrong. They think all cops are against open carry. I for one AM NOT AGAINST OPEN CARRY. I just don't see it as a good idea for me. If a guy wants to open carry AND HE HAS THE PROPER CREDENTIALS then so be it. But yes, he can expect the police to ID him everytime they spot the weapon or whenever it is reported by Joe Citizen.

We don't get off on checking IDs no more than a dozer operator gets a boner for pushing over trees or paving a road. It's just a job. If I check your ID and you got everything in order, I'll remember you. I ain't gonna check you again if I see you an hour later. That's just silly. :rolleyes2
I disagree, pushing down trees with a dozer is funnernhell.

C

Clay

Nah...not so much. :disappoin Common body language and verbal conflict will snitch him off if he's gonna go postal when asked for his ID. I don't see too many folks OCing if they don't have the proper credentials anyway. What is the old saying...an armed society is a polite society? Oh sure, we may get a few good ol' boys that aren't aware that they need an SDA card to OC, but those will be few and far between. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I really wish everybody would calm down and don't fret this. If you get ID'd, what's the big deal? Do you go off on the bartender who asks for an ID? What about the guy who collects your ticket at sporting events? No difference...we're all just doing our job.
You seem to contradict yourself.

Latest posts

Top Bottom