Protecting feeders from cattle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got permission to deer hunt on one of my coyote hunting places this year, and plan to set it up mainly for my kids to start hunting. Went out this afternoon to put a couple of pipe feeders and cameras up to see what might be in there, and realized there were cattle in both spots I kinda had in mind already. I know you can put up T posts and barbwire, or even go around a few trees with the wire, and keep them out, just wondering if there were any other effective means to accomplish the mission? I'm sure they wouldn't care about wire, but was wondering if some bigger rope might work as well, especially some brighter color stuff? Like to hear any ideas, thanks!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cows will push right through rope. I have 5 strands of barbed wire between me and the neighbor. Its amazing how a 1000lb steer can come right through it, or jump over it.
I'd suggest a solar powered electric fence using a battery so it stays hot during the night. The deer will jump it easily. Hang some plastic caution tape or old strips of bed sheets on the wire to let the animals know there is a wire there.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's your mailing address. I'll send ya pic of my mother in-law.

Just kidding, she's a good lady, anyways we put up some t post and hog panel around a setup one time, and even turned the inside area into a food plot along with feeder. So just incase you wanna be last minute and forget to fill feeder you still have green on the ground...depending on tree coverage you might be able to use the trees as posts and make shift box in an area??

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys, that's really what I was thinking about some type of rope, they'd just push thru it probably...this place has several acres of wheat planted on it every year I've been around thus far, so the feeder will just be a short stop off for them going/coming to wheat I figure...I wanted a spot on the creek bottom because of shorter shot ranges, for my kids and possibly my bowhunting if I do any, so might try a couple strands of barbwire around some trees if I can find the right spot...I kinda figure the main issue might end up being just how bad the cattle want the feed!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If you're going to use wire and not panels, make sure the wire far enough out from the feeder that they don't even want to lean in on it to eat what's on the other side.......we all know what happens when they start leaning, pushing, and bellying up on things.

Okie4Life

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the above is a good idea but also a lot of work. If you have using gravity feeders, you might consider spreading the corn on the ground. If it is piles, the cows will eat it quick. I find that if you spread it out, it is too much work for cattle to pick off the kernels but still enticing to the deer. I got away from feeders a long time ago. Between the batteries and timers and cows, and rotted corn it just turned into too much work. I spread a little on the ground when I am out and it seems to work just as good.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn't find quite the "perfect" area I wanted for the feeder, but I got two strands of wire up around approximately 10 sq yard area or so...I DID end up with the feeder closer to one side than I wanted, damn limbs just ended up laid out all jacked up so I couldn't get it towards the center any better...might end up having to move it or reconfigure it, half a bag of corn in it so not much to lose if the cows eat it all...the kids went out with me and helped, enjoyed that part, PLUS ended up seeing what looked like a 15-18" 8 pt or so (in velvet) running thru the bottom around 100 yards from where we were, something had spooked it, looked like a great first buck for one of the kids! I also learned that used/hand rolled barbwire is NOT any fun to try to reuse for such a project! LOL

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depending on your feeder, another option would be to hang it from a tree. That's what my buddy used to do, and then use a winch of some sort to raise it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom