Radar Detectors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
K band on the auto door openers, but Kay county sheriffs run K band as well.

Rogers county still uses K band as well. I use a cobra RAD-450 in my daily driver vehicles. I also have a 480i but it's almost too sensitive. It will pick up radar off on side streets that isn't even a threat. The RAD-450 has saved me numerous times.

Last edited:

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My commute to work each way everyday is a minimum 108 miles. Long stretchs of Hwy 48 with hills, I-40 and Indian Nation TP. I leave for work at 5am and get home at 6:45pm. Also do a lot of driving when at work to see customers and make deliveries all over SE OK. Tend to do about 5K miles per month.

I have a Uniden R3 thats a couple years old and was about $350 or so. Is it fool proof to get me out of all tickets, no. But has saved my azz more times than I can count. It'll pick up radar from about 3 miles in mostly flatter terrain and a couple miles in hills, especially as you or the LEO get near the tops of hills and then will fade as you enter the low lying areas. Most of the time it whistles at me if it detects KA band or makes an intermittent buzzing sound if K band. Vast majority of LEOs use Ka band it seems.

Don't see a lot of LEOs pulled over and "hidden" radaring drivers. Many in oncoming traffic where it gives me enough time/notice to slow down. THere have been some interesting situations that have happened more and more.

More than a couple times driving early in the morning I see headlights behind me a mile or two. Can't tell headlight style or vehicle. All of a sudden my detector will start screaming at me for 3-4 seconds then gone. I was doing about 85 mph in an 80 zone. This happened 4-5 times the same morning on a 20 miles stretch of turnpike. Each time I noticed a set of headlights was closer to me each time the detector went off. I had slowed down to 80 not knowing what was going on until I realized there was an OHP 3-4 miles behind me and every time a group of semis or vehicles approached him going North he would turn on his radar looking for those speeding going the opposite direction. HE passed me doing 85mph+. Had I not had the detector I would have been in the "No Tolerance" speed and could have paced me.

While most LEOs keep their radar on all the time it seems more are turing them on and off in the hilly sections of roads. THey begin to crest a hill and flip on the radar to catch speeders coming up the other side of the hill in the other direction. Not much my detector will do in that situation. Luckily there have been other vehicles in front of me who were going slower. Will I be immune from tickets? No. But sure has gotten me out of many.

Latest posts

Top Bottom