Re-enlistment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you like being in the Navy? Do you enjoy doing what you do? Can you go to school; college/vo-tech while you're in? I bet if you will carry yourself over to Rose State and see an Admissions Advisor, you will find out that you can get a nice chunk of college credit applied from your military schools towards a degree of some useful type.

I asked myself the above questions when I was coming up on a "re-up or get out" decision too. The answer to all was YES, so I stuck it out, finished my degree, and got commissioned. I retired from the USMC (was a Grunt; not a Squidley - see post#8) after 21 years, and started drawing that check. I got into my second career, Higher Ed Administration, and retired from that 2 1/2 years ago. My wife also retired from Cox Communication's. We were then getting 3 retirement checks. We then made the decision to apply for Social Security as early as possible. Five retirement checks coming in now. Kids all grown and gone, very few bills left. Life is good and me no more worky. There are lots of worse things you can do in life besides a Navy Career...even if it means ya have to be a squid... (see post#8 again).

I second this. If you like the Navy, and like what you are doing in the Navy stay in. Dont get out and wonder what if. Go on a deployment see more of the world than Oklahoma. The Navy has more to offer than most other jobs/careers. Take advantage of it while you can.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't read all the posts, but my advice is simply do your 20, get all the education you can lay your hands on, save as much as you can, and then worry about what to do next. At that point, you can't go wrong.

Last edited:

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Lots of great advice on here! I read every response here. My thinking is this, I can either get out after 4 years or stay for 20. Kinda a go big or go home thing. I dont see a point in getting out somewhere in between. That said, 20 years is a big commitment and there is always that "what if" that I hear people talking about. I would rather know what I missed out on (pension after 20 years service) than stay in and have no idea what I could have become in the civilian world.

Staying in
PROS: I love the Navy. It has treated me well, Iv met some AWESOME people, I have benefits, a steady pay check, iv gotten to live in different places, and its super easy to get laid when you wear a uniform. I have gotten great hands on experience with some multi million dollar equipment, and contribute to something bigger than myself. A pension after 20 years would be nice, and I would be able to get a contractor job much easier having served 20 years.

CONS: As stated above, I really dont know how id feel at the age of 39 looking back and wondering what I could have done in the civilian sector. Even if im worse off at 39 as a civilian then I would be as a retiree, at least I would know what I missed out on. Also surprisingly, Job security in the navy isnt guaranteed. allot of people are being kicked out due to overmanning and also decreasing the size of the military after the wars. I dont want to be kicked out after...lets say 13 years of service, with nothing to show for those years I put in. This happened to allot of people several years ago. People got kicked out across the board and many didnt get a retirement (despite being VERY close to retirement.)

Getting out
PROS: I can take my life whichever direction I want. I would have time to use my GI Bill and become a full time student, or possibly get a job straight out of the military (I know its not as easy as it sounds). I can move wherever I want, and am not under the same restrictions I would be if I were still in. I could go to school and try to get into higher education or some form of teaching (love history and culture). I could also try to stay aviation and get my A&P license. Being in a stable relationship also seems to be easier when one isnt deploying or dealing with the long hours and stress of military life.

CONS: Life tends to change plans. People get pregnant, family members or loved ones get sick or die, and sometimes people are just dealt a ****** hand. Being out of the military makes all of these things much more difficult to deal with it would seem. I may also decide to get a major and end up hating it. take education as an example. I know a large percent of teachers drop out after a very short amount of time because its just not what they hoped or expected. Finding a job may also not be the easiest thing, especially for someone like me with no higher education.

Theres also always the reserves. I would be able to keep Tricare that way too.
Thanks again for all the responses so far. Iv got a LOT of thinking and praying to do haha. and sorry that this post is wayyy to long.

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My cousin Jesse has been in for 2 years. She loves it and made it a career. She married a fellow squid about 6 months ago and I hope she don't get knocked up and end up leaving because she lets her married life get her side tracked. You are young and have all kinds of options to consider, but the more you learn the more options you have later on if you decide to exit. This was exactly what Jesse told me was the attraction that drew her to the Navy. She will have opportunities in the civilian world that a college education couldn't give her, but the experience combined with that degree will make her more desireable to fill a position. That's another thing that you can consider. If I were the one trying to decide, I'd stay in for another enlistment period, but I believe that staying in a bit longer looks better to employers than doing my time and getting out the first chance I had. At any rate, I wish you well with whatever road you choose and good luck with your future endeavors. As always, thank you for your service, Been.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
4 years is a blink.

I'm coming up on 15 years civilian - and it doesn't seem that long.
Difference is, I won't have the option to retire after 20 - like my friends in uniform.

A retirement check after 20 years is a MONSTER perk in my viewpoint.
And Medical benefits for life is nothing when your young - but it's everything when your older.

Good luck.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on your airframe experience, there is work out at Will Rogers doing mods on the E6 and they just broke ground on the KC-46 hangars so there will be a need on base eventually but no idea when they will start hiring as folks will move from other areas out there first.

FY13 casualty? SRB? Clearance? Lots of variables in your choice but make sure your medical records reflect your accurate health and save, save, save!

Latest posts

Top Bottom