Recommendations for New Small SUV

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My whole family drives Subaru, and they don't *all* use oil! I have a 2013 4-cylinder...it uses about 1/3 a quart during the entire oil change life (around 7500 miles). My brother has a 2014 and it uses about 1/2 a quart during the oil change life. My dad has a 2015 and it doesn't use any. I've heard of the older models (i.e., older engine designs) using more, but newer engines don't. They did manufacture a run with defective piston rings (i.e., various models from 2011-2014); they used a lot of oil, and the owners get some compensation for it.
I guess it's just all of ours. We do change the oil at 5k, but they run all day long. So even if I only put 60 miles on the car in a day, the engine has ran for 8 hours. Ours are all Outbacks from 2013-2015 models. We get our new cars in the summer so I don't think anyone has received a new 2016 yet. Mine is a 2013.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess it's just all of ours. We do change the oil at 5k, but they run all day long. So even if I only put 60 miles on the car in a day, the engine has ran for 8 hours. Ours are all Outbacks from 2013-2015 models. We get our new cars in the summer so I don't think anyone has received a new 2016 yet. Mine is a 2013.
You might check to see if your's fall in ones included in the piston ring recall. You'll get free oil, extra warranty, and other things that I can't remember.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As much as I like my wife's Murano(s), I still have a hangup on the CVT transmission. It's just weird.

Having said that, she's driven Muranos since 2006 and has never had one in the shop for anything.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We just bought a Nissan Rogue. Love it! Great gas mileage and ease of getting in and out was a huge plus. It's a lot easier for my wife to get in and out of (bad knees) and my 87 year old father loves how comfortable it is.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Consumer Reports rates the Mazda 5 suv at and above any mentioned so far. My grand daughter drove a Mazda2.5 yrs and never had an issue. My son bought her a new Honda CRV and guess what, its been in the dealer shop 2 times already. I own a Sorento, Limited SE by KIA 2014 and LOVE the car. My first KIA but with the high ratings Consumer Reports gave it I believe they were spot on. V6 is 290hp and get a cool 28mpg on the road and 25 in town. 100,000 mile warranty on drive train, and 60,000 bumper to bumper. It has 40,000 on it now and not a single issue.
Why did I get the Kia over a Mazda? Bang for the buck and bottom line cost. If what it would cost in the end was not an issue the Mazda 9 suv would have been in my garage.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just traded in my wife's 2009 Nissan Murano a few weeks ago for a 2015 Nissan Pathfinder. She loved the Murano for the AWD and the room. The addition of another grandchild (3 now) meant Grammy needed room for more child seats, thus the Pathfinder with a third row seat. She also likes the extra room for stuff when traveling for her quilting classes. She and another quilter headed off last Saturday for a week-long class in TN. She texted me that she was glad to have the extra room because the vehicle was fully packed with their gear.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Consumer Reports rates the Mazda 5 suv at and above any mentioned so far. My grand daughter drove a Mazda2.5 yrs and never had an issue. My son bought her a new Honda CRV and guess what, its been in the dealer shop 2 times already. I own a Sorento, Limited SE by KIA 2014 and LOVE the car. My first KIA but with the high ratings Consumer Reports gave it I believe they were spot on. V6 is 290hp and get a cool 28mpg on the road and 25 in town. 100,000 mile warranty on drive train, and 60,000 bumper to bumper. It has 40,000 on it now and not a single issue.
Why did I get the Kia over a Mazda? Bang for the buck and bottom line cost. If what it would cost in the end was not an issue the Mazda 9 suv would have been in my garage.
Looks like the Subaru Forester was given the award for best small suv.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cars/best-cars-top-picks-2016/

Latest posts

Top Bottom