Shotgun for deer? Suggestions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

Fiddler918

I have been an avid waterfowler and upland bird hunter for over 20 years but since my dad didn't hunt big game I was never introduced to it. Anyway, I decided to give bowhunting for deer a try, this is my third season and I have yet to take my first deer (which is not too big of a deal to me, I don't hunt much and don't scout). I've learned the hard way that taking a deer with archery equipment requires a ton of prep work. I can't wait until next season to "do it proper". Anyway, I really want to put some meat in the freezer this season and would consider gun hunting but I don't have a rifle or muzzleloader. Here's my question...Can I deer hunt with my waterfowling shotguns using slugs? I have a Remington 870 Express 12 gauge and a Weatherby Orion auto 12 gauge. I know they make shotguns specific for shooting slugs at deer (rifled and shorter barrel) but can I make due with what I have? Thanks for the advice.​

Devilsbcoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hunted with a Win 20 ga filled with slugs when I was a kid and harvested a few deer, usually at bow range distances. Of course, we didn't have choke tubes back then. I don't know how choke tubes would affect a guns ability to fire slugs. Good luck.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd buy a slug bbl for the Remington. Its a way to get decent sights, or a good scope mount, on the gun.

You can go either with a smooth bore [for foster type slugs] or with a rifled bore [for sabots]. Sabots are more accurate, out over 100 meters in my gun, but cost more and can be hard to find. Either way, stay away from 3" magnum slugs. Standard length works fine, and will be more accurate in most guns. Don't know why.

If you don't want a new bbl, you need to find a way to mount sights on your gun. A front bead just won't cut it.

I have a rifled bbl with a 2 1/2 power scope on my Mossy. Works fine.

Mossberg sells Rem bbls. http://www.mossberg.com/products/access.asp?type=barrels&section=access

Scroll down. They are available lots of other places, too, but this will give you an idea on the price.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know that from my 870 with smooth bore, 20", rifle sights, and Federal low recoil rifled slugs, I can hit an IDPA target 8 out of 10 times from 200 yards and 10 for 10 from 150 in. It's all sight and trigger control ;)

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that from my 870 with smooth bore, 20", rifle sights, and Federal low recoil rifled slugs, I can hit an IDPA target 8 out of 10 times from 200 yards and 10 for 10 from 150 in. It's all sight and trigger control ;)

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:.........:tounge2:...........LOL......You are correct, basic fundamentals; breathing, sight picture, trigger control. I know many a men that use shotguns for deer.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where I used to live in PA hunting was limited to shotguns with slugs only because the county was so populated. They didn't want the rifle bullets that traveled as far zipping around. Using even a waterfowl length barrel with 3" slugs will be fine. I'd bet millions of deer have fallen to slugs from a shotgun. Keep it under 150 yards and you should be fine with a little practice.

I've never heard that rifled slugs are better out of shorter barrels. Anyone care to weigh in on why that is? Sorry in advance for the threadjack.

Latest posts

Top Bottom