Steel vs. Brass in an AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanebattles

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was just wondering what some of y'all think about running steel cased Russian ammo thru your AR's. Any trouble the cases sweeling or getting stuck in the bore. I've had a few guys say they won't use it. I haven't had any trouble myself.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never had a problem, the one problem you might encounter if you have a light hammer spring is that it may not strike the hard primers used in Russian ammo hard enough to ignite the round.

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a casing from a Tula round get stuck in my AR. Had one get stuck in my Remington 700 too. After one stuck in my AR, I left about 100 rounds sitting on the bench for anybody that wanted to try.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot about 300rds of TulAmmo .223 through my AR and haven't had a problem with it. I'll keep buying it as long as it lets me plink for cheap.

GusMan405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot roughly 500 rounds of Tula .223 through my palmetto state ar. I have had one case get suck in my bore, but that was about 150 rounds into a shooting day. What I had discovered was that my weapon was dry. Keep your ar well lubricated and the steel ammo runs just fine. Tula ammo is cheap and easy to find....and in my opinion a good plinking ammo!

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some rifles like it, some don't. Buy a box and see. I had a dpms that wouldn't run wolf, but would eat brown bear all day. A RRA that was completely the opposite. If you want to seriously save money, invest in somereloading equipment. It's a big up front cost, but it pays for itself pretty quick.

jre308

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The coating/laquer finish on the round will get sticky inside a hot barrel. When you fire a couple hundred rounds through your barrell, the Russian laquered finish will turn to hot glue. When it cools, it hardens. Case will get stuck. You can have a build up of this laquer inside your barrel and it is hard to get it out. The more you shoot the greater chance of getting a stuck case.

Have Blue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The coating/laquer finish on the round will get sticky inside a hot barrel. When you fire a couple hundred rounds through your barrell, the Russian laquered finish will turn to hot glue. When it cools, it hardens. Case will get stuck. You can have a build up of this laquer inside your barrel and it is hard to get it out. The more you shoot the greater chance of getting a stuck case.

* Citation needed

I've heated both the lacquer and polymer cases with a lighter and have never seen any change to case coating. I tested all the way from mildly warm to red-hot.

I have found that if you put 1 or 2 brass rounds in the mag first (so they will be shot last) the brass will attract a lot of the crud the ruskie rounds leave behind in the chamber. Once I started doing that I've shot Brown Bear all day without a single malfunction, FTF or FTE.

The Russian stuff is dirty . . but patches are cheap!

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot 500+ rounds of 55 gr soft point Wolf WPA through my gun and never had any issues with any failures at all. I've never run any TULA through it. I saw a guy who ran TULA who had CONSTANT stuck cases that stuck so hard he was tearing the rim off the case on attempted ejection.

I try and stick to brass as much as possible but have shot Wolf steel case and wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom