Texas allows guns in college classrooms under new law

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How many?...as in, what percent would you estimate do that? Are the professors involved in this lawsuit doing that?
Don't know and don't care. All professors, liberal and conservative, are employed to teach their subject not spew their ideology. If they don't like the rights granted to citizens by the 2nd amendment being extended to their place of employment, they should go find other employment.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know and don't care. All professors, liberal and conservative, are employed to teach their subject not spew their ideology. If they don't like the rights granted to citizens by the 2nd amendment being extended to their place of employment, they should go find other employment.
that's hilarious...if you don't know and don't care, why are you making a point about it? lmfao

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
How many?...as in, what percent would you estimate do that? Are the professors involved in this lawsuit doing that?

The right side of the “isle” says academia is liberal and then the liberals preaching liberal ideology deny it.

Given such a general statement that colleges have leftist professors spewing leftist ideology, unless one was potty trained way too early … why or how does the exact quantity matter?

http://www.campus-watch.org/article/id/1809

http://townhall.com/columnists/larryelder/2012/04/12/leftist_california_professors_corrupt_higher_education

Speaking of asking for clarification or validation to a statement …

The republican platform still (i.e., today; currently) has policies that are prejudicial and discriminatory in regard to brown and black people, and typically does not acknowledge institutional racism in our system.

What policies (plural) does the Republican Party have that are “prejudicial and discriminatory in regard to brown and black people”?

“Typically does not acknowledge institutional racism in our system” … Nothing like trying to paint a picture using words like “typically” when trying to tie someone or a group to “institutional racism”. Did you get that from a liberal coloring book?

Assuming you graduated high school? At some point it would be safe to assume that you made a comment and was asked to provide some sort of validation (preferably by not using Wiki) least not to sound like a proverbial bag of crap to back-up what you stated? Name at least two Republican platform policies that are prejudicial and discriminatory. Your cue … go.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that's hilarious...if you don't know and don't care, why are you making a point about it? lmfao
I care about the 2nd Amendment and the RIGHT to Keep AND BEAR ARMS. If the professors don't like it, get out. That includes leave the country and go to a feel good, safe place in another country.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can you explain a little more what you mean by this?

yukonjack has captured my basic thought below.

He means if you don't suck up and agree with the professors view point you aren't getting a good grade. Most of these academia types are unable to accept the fact that for all the hot air they blow not all of their students will drink their koolaid. That's real talk dog.

How many or what percentage are stating a viewpoint? I'd expect most are taking a stance that is consistent with their personal view of the issues of the day. The question really is whether that viewpoint is part of course material or even part of the area of study. If it's really not part of the area of study, then the professor's viewpoint is not germane and can only serve to bias his/her approach to student evaluation. If the course material and area of study actually covers a controversial subject where the professor states a position, I think it should be done in order to generate student interest and discussion that deepens their knowledge of the subject area. The professor's legitimate academic evaluation is then a measurement of the student's ability to conduct academic research that allows the student to state a position that can be supported with evidence and rhetorical skill, not to judge the student against the professor's position with a criteria of right v. wrong.

In my undergrad and graduate studies, I only encountered an absolutely intransigent professor that affected my grade once during undergrad. In my graduate studies, the professors were universally liberal but since I was no longer a callow youth, I was better equipped to stand for my views. I found that my grade was not affected in the least. To keep it in context, the undergrad years were the 1970s and graduate school was early 2000s. I think the academic world has only become much more polarized in the intervening years with adverse effects for students that don't appear to align their views accordingly.

As to the status of the professors in the lawsuit and their approach, I can't say. Perhaps if their names are stated, the RateMyProfessors website could provide some info on how they manage their classroom and grades.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
[QUOTE...What policies (plural) does the Republican Party have that are “prejudicial and discriminatory in regard to brown and black people?[/QUOTE]

I've been watching and waiting for this response as well.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yukonjack has captured my basic thought below.

How many or what percentage are stating a viewpoint? I'd expect most are taking a stance that is consistent with their personal view of the issues of the day. The question really is whether that viewpoint is part of course material or even part of the area of study. If it's really not part of the area of study, then the professor's viewpoint is not germane and can only serve to bias his/her approach to student evaluation. If the course material and area of study actually covers a controversial subject where the professor states a position, I think it should be done in order to generate student interest and discussion that deepens their knowledge of the subject area. The professor's legitimate academic evaluation is then a measurement of the student's ability to conduct academic research that allows the student to state a position that can be supported with evidence and rhetorical skill, not to judge the student against the professor's position with a criteria of right v. wrong.

In my undergrad and graduate studies, I only encountered an absolutely intransigent professor that affected my grade once during undergrad. In my graduate studies, the professors were universally liberal but since I was no longer a callow youth, I was better equipped to stand for my views. I found that my grade was not affected in the least. To keep it in context, the undergrad years were the 1970s and graduate school was early 2000s. I think the academic world has only become much more polarized in the intervening years with adverse effects for students that don't appear to align their views accordingly.

As to the status of the professors in the lawsuit and their approach, I can't say. Perhaps if their names are stated, the RateMyProfessors website could provide some info on how they manage their classroom and grades.

Thanks for the clarification. Here's a shamefully brief reply (I'd write more if I had time...and may come back to this later): I agree with part, but not all of your statements. In some ways academia in general has done a better job of addressing the issues you raise (e.g., setting up systems to educate grad-student-instructors and professors about these issues and how to handle them ethically; setting up systems for students to more easily deal with the power-differentials and protect the student's interest over the professor's; better student judicial services; the current zeitgeist/environment which rewards alternative perspectives and ideological/personal debates better than older ones did; etc.); but in some ways academia has done worse (e.g., over-relying on adjunct instructors which sometimes aren't as equipped to handle these issues as fairly and ethically). Many institutions/universities are running on business models in which students are customers, and "customers are always right" (that is taking it to the extreme, but the sentiment is there somewhere)...so in some relevant ways the pendulum has swung from favoring professors to favoring students. MyEdu and Facebook has taken over much of professor ratings, so using RateMyProfessor would be questionable, but maybe doable.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
don't forget, most professors (or at least tenure-track ones at large schools) aren't really paid to teach a subject, but rather publish articles, books and get grants.

and while i'm sure there are those professors out there that are punitive towards students with different views, i must be lucky because i've never met any. I've met some hardcore liberals, mind you, but none like the ones so often described here by someone's daughter's-friends-cousin's-brother stories. And i'm around a lot of professors.

Now, i admit some do take pleasure in challenging a student's views. And that some students will never understand that what their pastor told them doesn't work as a cited source for a topic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom