To those who are getting mature buck pics.......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Note if you would, about what date your bucks either don't appear anymore or change their arrival times. Seems when I get mature buck pics, I'll have them showing up for a month solid everyday about the same time, about 9/20ish every year they change up or disappear all together. Just wondering if it's me, my area, regional thing or statewide.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah. It happens every year to me. I actually just told a friend last night that was very excited about a mature deer that was regular by a camera that he needs to wait until it sheds velvet to be getting as excited as he is. Because the deer is bound to completely change things up.

The few bucks I have worth looking at are still acting predictable as of a few days ago.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shortly after the horns harden and the hormone levels ramp up the bachelor groups break up and start seeking out breeding grounds. It's easy to find bucks when they are grouped up, they're super predictable. Once they break up then it's a crap shoot.
We still have the same bucks hitting the exact same spots like clock work every day. If they are still grouped up by the time season starts. I should have one down the first evening we get a south/southeast wind.
Like you, about end of September beginning of October they'll split up.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it's a mature buck thing. I haven't captured a picture of a mature buck yet this year, although I run only 1 camera, and have moved it's location 4 times. Plenty of does, fawns, and a few yearling bucks. I can guarantee these locations have mature deer during the season, but prior to then, I won't see them.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's cause this time of year the mature bucks have a really tight core area. Pretty much from bed to food/water. They'll typically bed close. But if you find that area you'll see them constantly, just don't get in there to much and mess them up. If you don't find that area then you'll never see them.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only have bad pics of what looks like 2 mature bucks, one on each place I hunt. I am ok with that however because in years past I have had tons of pics of big bucks in bachelor groups through the middle of September that disappeared when the season started. I only had one pic of the buck I shot last year, early September.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, mark the date for me if you would :) Wondering if this happens about the same time everywhere.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You got it Okie, as soon as they stop showing up, I'll let you know. Movement is quite predictable right now. I have some still in velvet, some are out, but all are moving in a predictable pattern from food to water to bed. directions are always the same, but the actual path can vary a bit.

As soon as they go missing, I'll let you know. Hopefully one will come to dinner at my house. the invites have been sent! Black tie, of course.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pulled a card today. Been about 10 days since the last pull. Two things noted from it. First is that I picked up a hard antlered 8 pt yesterday evening. Second thing is that a very decent mature buck strolled by two evenings ago. That is after this camera has been there for just short of a month and it's the first sign of him.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom