To those who are getting mature buck pics.......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
By getting a picture of this buck does that prove they split up then start roaming new areas? Well before the rut.

Not really sure what it means..........I started putting out cams in 2008, and that year I got a pic of a buck on cam, probably the biggest one I've ever seen on that property, on my farthest south cam. Just one pic, at 2:30 in the afternoon in the middle of August. No other pics of him for a week, then he shows back up and is with two other bucks that I'd not had pics of that were almost as big. Got night time pics of them for the next few weeks and then they were gone. Got one pic of him the first weekend of ML, during the middle of the night. Then on another cam, almost 1.5 miles north, I got a pic of him 3 nights in a row, by himself the week before rifle. Never saw him or got pics of him again. Random!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okie, the biggest buck I've ever seen in our area was caught on camera at 2:30 in the afternoon in my little 22 acre spot. One time, and one time only. Beautiful 12 point.

I have a trail cam pic of him as soon as I sort through 1600 pics on my photobucket.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By getting a picture of this buck does that prove they split up then start roaming new areas? Well before the rut.

For me it seems just a tad early for them to be changing up their daily routine. There is a good chance things are changing though. Especially with a hard antlered buck or two popping up in the area.

It definitely shows a change in his schedule though. He followed the same trend all the deer through this spot have though. Coming through in the morning right after dawn and coming from the same general direction as everything else.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Studies have shown that deer, on average, actually move more during the day. However, as fall progresses, the forage within the forest becomes depleted and deer begin to eat more on the edges or in the open where they feel more vulnerable. As this occurs, they naturally become more nocturnal and the balance of daytime to nighttime activity shifts. Then, typically, hunting pressure, or I should say human presence, induces a step change of even greater tendency toward nocturnal behavior.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Studies have shown that deer, on average, actually move more during the day. However, as fall progresses, the forage within the forest becomes depleted .

No forest where I'm hunting. If it wasn't for the curvature of the earth, I could see the North Pole.

Each area of the state has individual hunting opportunities, that require different skills to hunt them.

I love getting drawn for the controlled hunts so I can experience a hunt out of the comfort zone I'm in.

Learn new techniques, etc. :D

ousoonerfan22

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like hunting open country where I can glass but also like the challenge of hunting heavy timber and rough terrain but it can be very frustrating. Set up along a ridge with a saddle that looks promising on a map then find out the wind swirls so bad you feel like you're totally wasting your time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom