To those who are getting mature buck pics.......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sure will work out great for you...........nothing like a "predictable" mature buck! :) (Wishful thinking at least)

Yeah well, I even had him patterned last year and couldn't close the deal, but I do feel somewhat secure that he's hanging out on my place and not chasing tail all over Alfalfa county.:thumb:

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our big group changed things up on the 10th. Last day we got pics of them all together. Also lat pics we got were still in velvet. But the next day the 11th another mature buck started showing up hard horned. He showed up like clock work just like the others were. Then vanished on the 13th. We started hunting on the 15th and not sure exactly what's going on right now....
At first we thought they all split up, started seeing groups of 2 or 3 on different fields the beginning of way week. Or Though maybe they ditched the beans and went for acorns, so we put up cams all over different oaks and no deer on them at all. Then 6 days into it we say a big group of bucks on the property south of us headed toward our place that night as we were leaving. Looked to be the same group we'd been seeing....
But going in a lot later and not hitting same spot maybe.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone checking their cameras lately or playing it as I am and leaving the cameras alone until opening day?

I'm checking mine every other day since I'm in the area planting wheat. I keep a laptop in the truck with a card reader.

Drive right in to the camera, get out in work boots, change cards/feeder, throw out some feed, shut the door, and drive out, for a reason. I want them to associate my smell/sounds with something positive. I'll be up close and personal with them getting to the stand. On occasion, walking into the area in the dark, I use a green light head lamp that shows their eyes, but doesn't spook them. I'll walk within 30 yards of bedded deer walking to the blind in seasons past.
Its working so far. The same bucks still show up every night.

At least I think so. Checked my cards today, and forgot to turn the unit back on when I checked it Thursday. :nono2:

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Most of our movement is still nocturnal. We have 2 photos during daylight hours of the large bucks we are watching. We did get an in-person encounter with the two of them this weekend. They are still traveling together. Heard some light sparring off in the distance but so far, bachelor groups are still together and peaceful and mainly feeding at night. The bachelor group is on a three-day summer pattern at the moment.

Our last fawn lost it's final spot this weekend, it appears to be a buck, but it's camera shy so I can't confirm. Does are all very large and very healthy, which is a great thing to see as it seems groups have been struggling the past few years.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom