Tornado Shelters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The lady of the house wants a below ground tornado shelter in the garage. I've done some research and think I might go with Flatsafe Tornado Shelters out of Yukon OK. Does anyone here have any dealings with them positive/negative?

Thanks

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Daughter and I were home when a huge storm with hail and tornado sighting came through town. Hail and wind tore up our roof and siding. Only place we could go was in hallway and felt like that was not safe enough.

I had a FlatSafe shelter put in my garage floor in 2011. Had it installed and positioned where we could get both cars in the garage, with my daughter's Nissan Altima straddling the sliding door.

By pulling her car as far forward as we could we could still get into shelter in severe weather (or at least be ready to get in if we had to). That way we didn't have to choose between leaving her car out in the severe weather or getting into the shelter.

One day installation, they did mine and three neighbors.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Daughter and I were home when a huge storm with hail and tornado sighting came through town. Hail and wind tore up our roof and siding. Only place we could go was in hallway and felt like that was not safe enough.

I had a FlatSafe shelter put in my garage floor in 2011. Had it installed and positioned where we could get both cars in the garage, with my daughter's Nissan Altima straddling the sliding door.

By pulling her car as far forward as we could we could still get into shelter in severe weather (or at least be ready to get in if we had to). That way we didn't have to choose between leaving her car out in the severe weather or getting into the shelter.

One day installation, they did mine and three neighbors.
I would be worried the car could be moved a few feet and you wouldn't be able to exit.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have one and thankfully haven't had to use it since getting it installed.

I honestly can't remember which company we went with . . .

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not going to argue the point of which is better but after going down in the neighbors in ground garage floor shelter and closing the lid mama and I both felt really uneasy / claustrophobic so we went with a above ground in the garage shelter......since their install a few years back (both now in their mid 80's) he's developed Parkinsons pretty bad and she is hunkered pretty far over with scoliosis so I don't know how in the hell they are going to get down in the thing in a timely manner once the siren goes off.

Stuff happens and after seeing the shape they are in I also got to thinking about what if one of us just had a surgery or became dependent on a walker or wheel chair, there's no way could we get down in a below ground but with a above ground we could at least walk or wheel our way in.

Hopefully none of us will ever have the need to use any sort of shelter.

gz.jpg

ground zero.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom