Tornado Shelters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saferoom above ground would be my preference, but when we bought this home, there was a shelter already in the garage floor. We do the same thing of pulling one car forward, allowing access to the shelter.

Pros and cons with every solution, but it's a bit like the current hand washing advisements. Just do it, get a shelter, and plan on using it.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Flatsafe pic 1.jpg
Flatsafe pic 2.jpg
Flatsafe pic 3.jpg
Flatsafe pic 4.jpg

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I scheduled with Flatsafe. They will be here April 9, for the install. We have a 3 car garage and I would like to put it in the 3rd stall (which is smaller) and is where my daughter parks her car when she's not in school. She's a Jr. in college so she may be out of the house in 2-3 years. Although I should probably let the wife decide that way I stay out of trouble.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We don't have a shelter, but soil in our yard is pretty shallow before you hit solid rock (they blasted out a hole for our septic tank).

However... I'd be worried about an underground shelter in the garage, because if the house pipes burst you might wind up trapped in a watery grave. But I know you can't always prevent everything either.

Just a thought.
:drunk2:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We don't have a shelter, but soil in our yard is pretty shallow before you hit solid rock (they blasted out a hole for our septic tank).

However... I'd be worried about an underground shelter in the garage, because if the house pipes burst you might wind up trapped in a watery grave. But I know you can't always prevent everything either.

Just a thought.
:drunk2:
That has actually happened.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a high lift jack in mine. I'm pretty sure I can lift most anything enough to crawl out as long as it doesn't punch through the bottom. 24" square piece of 3/4" plywood to help with that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom