Trucks.. Ford Chevy or RAM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those of you saying the Ford is weak because of the new aluminum bed, do you have a bedliner in your current truck? If so, why? If the steel beds are far superior, then you shouldn't need one.
Get a spray in bedliner and the aluminum bed of the Ford is on par with anything else sporting the same liner.

Personally I don't think the bed liner would make the steel bed much stronger but it would keep it from looking beat to hell, even with a spray in bed liner that won't help the bed sides much.

I personally own an 05 Silverado and have an 05 f150 as a work truck, the Chevy has 50k more miles and it has yet to fail me where as the Ford has given me problem (just got out of the shop auctually). Chevy has a 5.3 and ford has the 5.4 and the Ford feels gutless compared to the Chevy. The seats in the Chevy are also more comfortable. If I had to choose I would go with my Chevy over the Ford, but that's just me comparing the two trucks at my disposal.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's around an $80k investment just to repair to a couple of model years worth of F-150s. An overwhelming majority of shops won't be doing that investment anytime soon. It is primarily the larger chains and the dealerships that use the aluminum bays to crossover to other brands they sell (like Bob Moore). Even places with multiple locations in the metro like Service King, Caliber and Collision Works are only getting one of their locations certified so they can transfer work from any of their locations to the one specific equipped place. These are direct repairers for a number of insurance companies and just want to advertise the capability. It will be a long time before they spend that money to put that equipment into their other stores.

Those 12 locations on Ford's website also include Ada, Enid and 1 error in listing Bob Moore on I35 & 89th. So there are actually 9 in the metro and I'll be in the next 3 years that number won't double. You should also realize places like Bob Moore, Precision, OKC Auto Works, Davis and GW & Son* had the equipment before it became a thing with Ford because they do enough of the higher end stuff that requires it.

*GW & Son may not be on Ford's website but it would only be because they don't want to attract those customers. They cater to higher end customers/cars.

Now all that being said.... there will be plenty of shops doing the repairs on the aluminum F-150s. My insurance agent wrecked his 2016 F-150 2 weeks ago. It will be dropped off next week to have the bedside replaced. Replacing a bedside, rear bumper, taillight and repairing a tailgate.... ~$4800 in damage. It will be done at a non-certified shop. No aluminum bay, no air filtration system, regular mig, no special rivet gun.... just a regular body shop. This will be common in the market.

My only issue with the newer aluminum F-150s is I believe the insurance rates will increase quite a bit over the next few years. Currently, rates are figured by the average repair cost of prior years. When they start getting enough data on the aluminum trucks, the rates will have to go up. They have a much more limited repair capability and are much, much more expensive to repair than a steel body truck. This cost will be passed on.
Yeah because a couple years worth of F150's are the only aluminum bodied vehicles ever made.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They did that test multiple times and it didn't always make a hole in the ford and it did actually make a hole in the chevy bed at least once.

Maybe Ford should do a commercial with all the guys with flat cams and bad lifters due to the AFM system. Now, that is a real world problem.
What's your source for that info?

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought a used 2015 F150 Lariat Sport FX4. I freaking love it! Worth every penny and the ecoboost engine is awesome. I have only ever owned F150's but the difference between this one and my 2014 STX are night and day. Even my 2012 FX4 was fully loaded and doesn't compare. I don't go through trucks like it sounds....i was in an accident, rushed out and bought the STX and instantly regretted it so recently upgraded LOL

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah because a couple years worth of F150's are the only aluminum bodied vehicles ever made.
No, because Ford thinks they are special and decided they could make more money selling equipment and certifications.

But since you pointed it out, how many manufacturers do you think use aluminum parts for structural parts, not just a hood or deck lid? Bolt on parts aren't an issue. It's the aluminum structure that makes the new F-150 special, not just the outer body panels. Any body shop around can deal with an old aluminum F-150 hood or Mustang hood repair, but you'll tow a Mercedes hundreds of miles to have an A-pillar replaced.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, because Ford thinks they are special and decided they could make more money selling equipment and certifications.

But since you pointed it out, how many manufacturers do you think use aluminum parts for structural parts, not just a hood or deck lid? Bolt on parts aren't an issue. It's the aluminum structure that makes the new F-150 special, not just the outer body panels. Any body shop around can deal with an old aluminum F-150 hood or Mustang hood repair, but you'll tow a Mercedes hundreds of miles to have an A-pillar replaced.
It's the future whether you like it or not.
https://www.alcoa.com/car_truck/en/pdf/2014_Ducker_Executive_Summary.pdf

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If anyone cares at this point I think I just bought a 2012 f150. It only has 55k on it. A brand new one would of been nice but with the check I got for my totaled one I was able to add enough cash to be into this payment free

Latest posts

Top Bottom