Turkey hunting 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone have a deaf and blind turkey? I think I'm gonna need to hunt that one with my son.
20240418_192620.jpg

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went turkey hunting earlier tonight. Saw a huge flock. Like 200 birds. I decided to try my sneaking game and get closer. I finally inched up and could have touched a few of them with my barrel. i let loose with a 3 inch number 2 load at that distance. Jesus, those people in Walmart are jumpy. And the manager started bitching about me ruing the cooling unit. Whatever. I finally got my bird.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I canned the idea of my son shooting a turkey this year- he’s not ready and that’s fine - but he is here with me. We saw some turkeys and **** our new 410 tonight. I felt like I needed to “pattern” it atleast once before i shot it at something alive, so I stuck a full 16oz water bottle on a stump and shot at 25 paces with federal tss 9s. It obliterated the bottle. I didn’t count hits, but it was a helluva lot more than i expected. Tried it a second time, same result. It doesn’t “kick”, but the gun/load kick more than anticipated. Looking forward to tomorrow!

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
I canned the idea of my son shooting a turkey this year- he’s not ready and that’s fine - but he is here with me. We saw some turkeys and **** our new 410 tonight. I felt like I needed to “pattern” it atleast once before i shot it at something alive, so I stuck a full 16oz water bottle on a stump and shot at 25 paces with federal tss 9s. It obliterated the bottle. I didn’t count hits, but it was a helluva lot more than i expected. Tried it a second time, same result. It doesn’t “kick”, but the gun/load kick more than anticipated. Looking forward to tomorrow!
I bought a Mossberg 500 .410 and a bunch of those TSS loads to make it more challenging. I'm thinking it won't be as hard as I anticipated.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Mossberg 500 .410 and a bunch of those TSS loads to make it more challenging. I'm thinking it won't be as hard as I anticipated.
I’ve been inspired by the 410 turkey hunters and have been talking to @hunter966 about possibly/probably buying a 410 pistol barrel for my Encore for next year. I can reload for a 410 now and have a source for cheap(er) tungsten shot, so it seems like a fun project.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ya know, I thought the same thing until this morning, haha. We had a group stay just out range for about 10 minutes. I haven’t killed anything with it yet, but I do agree with you- these things seem deadlier than I gave them credit for. Have you patterned yours on paper?
I’ve been inspired by the 410 turkey hunters and have been talking to @hunter966 about possibly/probably buying a 410 pistol barrel for my Encore for next year. I can reload for a 410 now and have a source for cheap(er) tungsten shot, so it seems like a fun project.
Carrying that gun today made me appreciate small and light. I think a pistol would be a lot of fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom