Turkey hunting 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ya know, I thought the same thing until this morning, haha. We had a group stay just out range for about 10 minutes. I haven’t killed anything with it yet, but I do agree with you- these things seem deadlier than I gave them credit for. Have you patterned yours on paper?

Carrying that gun today made me appreciate small and light. I think a pistol would be a lot of fun.
Problem with a pistol (Judge or Governor) is that have to have an inch of rifling to make it a pistol and not in violation of NFA regs.
You would pretty much have to stick the barrel of either down the Tom’s throat to get an effective pattern to kill it. The pattern is huge, just feet away.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Problem with a pistol (Judge or Governor) is that have to have an inch of rifling to make it a pistol and not in violation of NFA regs.
You would pretty much have to stick the barrel of either down the Tom’s throat to get an effective pattern to kill it. The pattern is huge, just feet away.
Yeah, I’m not talking about that kind of pistol although I have watched some utube videos of people hunting turkeys with those. The Encore barrel I’m looking at isn’t rifled and only set up for 410 shotshells, so basically, it would be a dedicated turkey gun.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m not talking about that kind of pistol although I have watched some utube videos of people hunting turkeys with those. The Encore barrel I’m looking at isn’t rifled and only set up for 410 shotshells, so basically, it would be a dedicated turkey gun.
Can't use handguns for spring turkey in OK though.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Ok, but it’s still a shotgun. :anyone:

So a Remington 870 with a pistol grip is illegal?
Pistol grip doesn't make it a handgun though. Another one of those really easy items that the odwc could clarify/change in the regs but doesn't lol. It's been written like that for as long as I can remember.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pistol grip doesn't make it a handgun though. Another one of those really easy items that the odwc could clarify/change in the regs but doesn't lol. It's been written like that for as long as I can remember.
Yeah, and I bet if you ask two game wardens you’ll get two answers too. I only care about what one game warden says, and I’m going to ask him today.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Yeah, and I bet if you ask two game wardens you’ll get two answers too. I only care about what one game warden says, and I’m going to ask him today.

I've come across those .410 commanche pistols numerous times for cheap, but I usually keep on scrolling or walking by lol. Would be perfect for turkey purposes.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've come across those .410 commanche pistols numerous times for cheap, but I usually keep on scrolling or walking by lol. Would be perfect for turkey purposes.
The difference between the Comanche and all the factory TC 410 barrels is they’re rifled and have the “capability” to shoot 45 LC, but the SSK barrel I’m looking at is a legitimate smooth bore shotgun with a turkey choke. If they want to get technical, I can put a buttstock on the receiver and shoulder it. Granted, the barrel would still be 15”, but it would definitely be a “shotgun”…or should I say it wouldn’t be a handgun. :anyone:

I thought @hunter966 was my friend, but evidently, he’s just been encouraging me to break the law so he can throw me under the bus.🤣

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Had one for a while. Sold it on here I think. I had read about trimming 444 brass down and using it. I think the load was the 444 Buller or something like that. That never happened

Latest posts

Top Bottom