Turkey hunting 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_4153.png
@retrieverman only 23lbs, did you buy a new scale or what?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Blind hogs do find acorns… :thumb:
I gambled on where to set up this afternoon, and it paid off. I was about 400 yards northwest at the opposite end of a grove of tree along the river from my camera where I’ve been seeing turkeys, because I know they hang out in those tree. The wind was blowing pretty hard so I was up wind to hopefully get the sound to carry into the tree. I called a few times and after a while got a glimpse of something moving in the shade about 50 yards away. When he came out into the light, I could see it was a tom I’ve been watching that has something wrong with his beard (maybe beard rot), so I just sat still and watched him for about 30 minutes as he milled around my decoys (which I set up way too close). All of a sudden I hear a gobble south of me, but I was afraid to call back because of getting busted. Well, the other tom acted as my live decoy and coaxed this tom within 10 yards. It was a bang and no flop. The 1 1/4 oz #7.5 load dropped him like a hot rock even out of a modified choke.
He has a 9 1/4” beard and 1” and 1 1/8” spurs.
View attachment 471027
View attachment 471040
View attachment 471041
Congratulations buddy!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I do with wild turkey legs/thighs. Usually a pot pie or tetrazzini or something similar.

I had a rough opening day in the wind. One gobble early this morning, but nothing showed. Turns out, I caught them going to roost this evening while I was out driving past the private property that borders the public. I know exactly where they are now and I'll be waiting in the morning. About 5 big toms in the group.

Fantastic turkey retrieverman!
Good luck in the morning!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No luck this morning. Only heard one gobble way off. Wind was blowing so hard I sat out the afternoon and didn’t go back out till about 530. This guy showed up with 6 other gobblers. Biggest group of birds I’ve seen in years. Nice to see that many.
Congratulations! Way to make it pay off!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Blind hogs do find acorns… :thumb:
I gambled on where to set up this afternoon, and it paid off. I was about 400 yards northwest at the opposite end of a grove of tree along the river from my camera where I’ve been seeing turkeys, because I know they hang out in those tree. The wind was blowing pretty hard so I was up wind to hopefully get the sound to carry into the tree. I called a few times and after a while got a glimpse of something moving in the shade about 50 yards away. When he came out into the light, I could see it was a tom I’ve been watching that has something wrong with his beard (maybe beard rot), so I just sat still and watched him for about 30 minutes as he milled around my decoys (which I set up way too close). All of a sudden I hear a gobble south of me, but I was afraid to call back because of getting busted. Well, the other tom acted as my live decoy and coaxed this tom within 10 yards. It was a bang and no flop. The 1 1/4 oz #7.5 load dropped him like a hot rock even out of a modified choke.
He has a 9 1/4” beard and 1” and 1 1/8” spurs.
View attachment 471027
View attachment 471040
View attachment 471041
Great bird and great pics! Way to get-er-done!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No luck this morning. Only heard one gobble way off. Wind was blowing so hard I sat out the afternoon and didn’t go back out till about 530. This guy showed up with 6 other gobblers. Biggest group of birds I’ve seen in years. Nice to see that many.
Congrats on the great Tom!

Latest posts

Top Bottom