Underground tornado shelter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another advantage to the above-ground shelters - it'd be a heck of a lot easier for a handicapped person to get into one of those rooms than to go down steep and narrow steps into a pit. Be a lot easier too to herd the family pets quickly through a door into a room, especially if you have multiple panicked pets and a tornado is bearing down on your neighborhood.

But I like the idea of an in-ground shelter, if for no other reason than it'd be handy for working on the underside of your car ;)

Good points. I think I prefer the in ground, but it would be nice to know the real-world survivability of the safe-room type setups in the worst case scenario.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good points. I think I prefer the in ground, but it would be nice to know the real-world survivability of the safe-room type setups in the worst case scenario.

IIRC on chanel 4 after this last batch of storms, they said the suvivability rate of the above ground safe room type shelters was 99.5%. It wasn't 100% because you have to account for large debris(trees, cars, etc.) being thrown into it.

six shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't mean to change the subject but fema is paying 75% of the fema approved storm shelters they start at around 1800 and go up you should look into it your storm shelter dealer should have the info that you need.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't mean to change the subject but fema is paying 75% of the fema approved storm shelters they start at around 1800 and go up you should look into it your storm shelter dealer should have the info that you need.

Got a link? I couldn't find anything on the FEMA website.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the three pics on the page i linked too are steel door. he call them afterward and they came out while we were cleaning up and painted the front(it was pretty mared up) and stuck those yellow oz magnets on there and took pics. its my understanding when he decided to rebuild in newcastle they bought the lot in moore and the shelter is still there

Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks.

Another advantage to the above-ground shelters - it'd be a heck of a lot easier for a handicapped person to get into one of those rooms than to go down steep and narrow steps into a pit. Be a lot easier too to herd the family pets quickly through a door into a room, especially if you have multiple panicked pets and a tornado is bearing down on your neighborhood.

But I like the idea of an in-ground shelter, if for no other reason than it'd be handy for working on the underside of your car ;)

Good points...handicap as well as elderly. My next door neighbor took a pretty good fall trying to climb out of her in-ground shelter. If I'd hadn't been there to see her rolling down the driveway and help her up, no telling how long she would've had to lay there....stairs are steep and narrow!

Latest posts

Top Bottom