Venison Hot Links

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks Great!
I'm like you, making my first batch this year as well from elk. I used 1lb of ground pork from the grocery store, mixed with 4 lbs of ground elk. (ground at a processor).
In hindsight, you went at it the right way. My mix ended up almost dry. Not enough fat.
I used a commercial hot link mix I got at academy from Eastman Outdoors. Again, like you, it just didn't seem to have enough spices in it for my taste, so more was added. Overall it was good, not great.

Thanks for the heads up on the persimmon. I have 15 or so trees in my yard. Usually throw the dead limbs over the fence. Never though about using it for smoking wood.

I have one of the cheap electric grinder/stuffers, so I can do it myself, although two people would make it go much quicker. I think I'm going to ask for one of these for Christmas.

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/lem-8-electric-grinder/butcher-meat-grinders

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those look very tasty! Nice work, get a new batch made up for the OYH weekend, bring em over to Briar Creek

HA! Man, if I did that, you would get in trouble. It is physically impossible to eat one without washing it down with a cold adult beverage, there are no substitutes. I would not want to tarnish the reputation of the OYH.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hahaha....no doubt, although my wife would say I find it almost physically impossible to eat anything without washing it down with a cold adult beverage. lol
Seriously those things looked like they turned out great.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
don't why i havn't ever thought of this i love hot links. and you was talking about yankee hot links they don't even have them.when i was working back east ohio and west virginia i could'nt find them in store anywhere i would ask for them and they would even know what i was talking about

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ROOSTA - You could bring them to BCF BEFORE the children show up for their hunt and we could wash them down with a cold adult beverage. Sticky is coming in EARLY. Just sayin....... pleading for Sticky. Sticky can't function w/o a cold adult beverage at least once a week and I want him in his prime guiding form. So he NEEDS some fortification to do his best. It's for medical reasons, of course, I know you understand. Since you are part of the Laurel and Hardy team you will want to help your team member all you can. You want him to do his best for the kids. Don't cha??? I figure that he will neeed at least a dozen of them flaming hot sausages. You will be missing a great comedy performance Saturday night when Sticky performs. He may need a few on Saturday afternoon to clear his throat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom