Veterans Disability Claim

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluewing

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have taken about 3 weeks of classes with the VVA and been trying to help as many vets as i can for about 13 years. The one thing i do know is..i really don't know that much.
Any time i run across a vet that needs help,in your type of situation, my best advice has been to seek out an "accredited" advocate. An 'accredited advocate" usually attends a couple years of college classes relating to the VA. That does not mean that there are not alot of highly qualified and very caring advocates that will try 110% to help you and come through fantastically. Just sometimes they fall short of the knowledge base needed.
My personal help has come from the Military Order of the Purple Heart. The guy's office is in the VA building in downtown Muskogee. He could log into the VA"s system from his desk. When i was sitting there, the guy from the American Legion office came in and asked his advice on something on the claim he was filling out for someone. (doesn't mean the AL guy is a bad guy though)
That 'Veterans Corner' suggestion sound like a great place to start.
NEVER miss an appointment without calling before hand. You can be dropped for a year. NO problem if you call first though. Once you are in...They will let you pick a certain day for an appointment although it may be pretty far out on the calendar. They are allowing apointments on Saturday now.
Lot of good places to pick to start at..DAV, MOPH, VFW, American Legion, PVA, and so on and so on.
Military.com has this years current disability pay scale.
The one thing I have heard from all these organizations is to try all the proper steps you can before going to a lawyer. But, i have heard of a lawyer being succesful before. Just takes alot longer. JMO

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, the reduced car tags is only for vets rated at 70% or above, you are authorized two tags per calendar year and the cost is $6.50 each.......if you have more than two vehicles you pay the full amount on all above the two authorized.

Not so. 50% covers it.

Edit: Saw that has been answered.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your wife knew she was getting a payment when she got out and she took it. If she wanted a monthly payment, then she should of taken that option. She cannot cry later, the VA system is not a welfare office.

You obviously didn't read, or comprehend my post.

We didn't even care about disability, just getting her foot taken care of.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You've gotten some good advice from others on this forum and if I were you I'd got to www.adit.com and register and ask some of those knowledgeable people. There are many there who have fought the system and they can give you some good advise and tell you what you need to do.
My advise? Never give up and don't let them give you a lower rating than you deserve. They'll low-ball you as they did me. I took 30% and was happy with it as it got me in the federal work force bu then after about two years they called me in for an "evaluation." I was angry that they called me away from work and I claimed all my medical problems and got 60%.
A lot of people that have 50% or more don't know that stye can receive reduced rates on car tags-the VA won't tell you, you have to find out some things for yourself.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got all the advice you need. I've heard many good things about the Goldsby location. I can just echo some of the others. Don't give up. If you don't get a reasonable rating, appeal, appeal, appeal. I went through DAV right before I got out. They did great work, and got me a percentage that I feel good about.

Latest posts

Top Bottom