Watches on the way to a wrist near you

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A large part of Steinhart's catalog is Rolex homage watches...and yes, a ton of people dislike them for it. There's no "might resemble" about it. Their designs are almost direct copies. Even the Steinhart logo pays homage to the Rolex crown. They're far from the only company that's followed that business model, but people tend to single them out more than others.

View attachment 391342

View attachment 391343

View attachment 391344

View attachment 391345
If you think about it, most every manufacturer has at some time borrowed or copied something Rolex. Almost every company makes a dive watch. Am I mistake to think that the most prominent dive watch ever is the submariner? How many companies have done a GMT bezel, or jubilee style bracelet? It’s a foolish stigma. Good looking watch you’ve ordered.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you think about it, most every manufacturer has at some time borrowed or copied something Rolex. Almost every company makes a dive watch. Am I mistake to think that the most prominent dive watch ever is the submariner? How many companies have done a GMT bezel, or jubilee style bracelet? It’s a foolish stigma. Good looking watch you’ve ordered.

It doesn't really have anything to do with borrowed design traits. Nearly every manufacturer has done it like you said. Any dive watch with a rotating bezel could be described as a Fifty Fathoms copy. It's more the fact that Steinhart attempts to make a blatant 99% copy, out of cheaper materials, and slap a different logo on it. I've seen references saying that a Steinhart Ocean One is 85% the watch that a Submariner is, but at less than 10% of the cost. It makes it significantly easier to sell a product at that lower price level when you're just using non-protected intellectual property from others and not putting much money into development. The absolute worst about this is San Martin. They'll copy anything remotely successful and bring it to market within a few months of the original item's release.

I honestly don't have a dog in the fight, but you'll see tons of extremely negative opinions on Watchuseek, Rolex Forums, etc. I am a firm believer in trying out the copy or generic version of a luxury item first to make sure that you like the size, fit, etc, before dropping any significant money on the real thing. Just don't claim that the copy is the equivalent of the real thing. I've wanted to try out one of the Steinhart 39mm Ocean GMT's (1655 homage) for a bit. If the build quality on the Flieger is nice, I'll probably try to pick one up.

Last edited:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
1689196734188.png

Won this on fleabay today. Do not really know if it is worth what I paid ($89 after shipping and tax) But really like the dial /day/date setup.....

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I honestly don't have a dog on the fight, but you'll see tons of extremely negative opinions on Watchuseek, Rolex Forums, etc.
Opinions on Rolex look-alikes in snobby watch forums aren't stigmas. I'd probably get one and not give two hoots about opinions on watchuseek. As long as it's not a Folex, it's fine.

PTSD has a stigma with vets that if you claim it, then you're now a target and you're nuts. That's a stigma.

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Opinions on Rolex look-alikes in snobby watch forums aren't stigmas. I'd probably get one and not give two hoots about opinions on watchuseek. As long as it's not a Folex, it's fine.

PTSD has a stigma with vets that if you claim it, then you're now a target and you're nuts. That's a stigma.
I disagree whole hearted. It’s a very real stigma. There’s plenty of other watch stigmas in re in house or contracted movements that’s real also.

Regarding a knock off Rolex…I sometimes trade with a fella that’s very wealthy. He’s probably got a dozen Rolex. His everyday wear is a Chinese super clone he bought 15 years ago for around $600? He gets more enjoyment from people assuming it’s real more than the status (or we could argue stigma) of his platinum Day Date or AP Royal Oak.

And like I aforementioned, and was rightly reminded by @coolhandluke, shouldn’t there be a stigma attached or associated with wearing any dive watch that isn’t a Fifty Fathoms-including the hallowed Submariner?

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
And like I aforementioned, and was rightly reminded by @coolhandluke, shouldn’t there be a stigma attached or associated with wearing any dive watch that isn’t a Fifty Fathoms-including the hallowed Submariner?
I guess, if that's a thing. Kinda like the assumption made in this forum that people who wear their Rolexes are just showing off and then are immediately poopooed for wearing them.

We had guys that used to get the good Folexes in Korea, like $500 or so and they were almost indistinguishable from the real thing. There are also the replica folks that all they do is buy, sell, and collect replicas. But still no stigmas.

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess, if that's a thing. Kinda like the assumption made in this forum that people who wear their Rolexes are just showing off and then are immediately poopooed for wearing them.

We had guys that used to get the good Folexes in Korea, like $500 or so and they were almost indistinguishable from the real thing. There are also the replica folks that all they do is buy, sell, and collect replicas. But still no stigmas.
What about the stigmas that some desire? Some want to wear a watch to be a well to do. Some want to dress, talk and act to be a soldier of fortune.

All I’m saying is people need to be happy with who they are and the rest can choke on a bag of dicks

Latest posts

Top Bottom