Why do we need Flu shots every year?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only references I see to illegal immigrants are listed in the reader comments.

Am I missing something?

Edit to add:

Considering that Russia had over 25,000 cases, Saudi Arabia had 14,500, Germany has 222,000+ (nearly double the US), I am not sure that illegal immigrants are the root of this...

Obviously, this is a virus brought on by those of Teutonic heritage. They should be eradicated (or at least sent to camps).

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Immunity from a flu shot is only temporary, usually lasts around 3 months or so. Some of our patients we recommend a 2nd flu shot in January, as the one they got in Oct may be wearing thin and the flu season usually peaks in Feb.

The immune system is a strange and wondrous thing.

If you think doctors make a lot of money off of flu shots, think again. We do it more as a public service, between the cost of the vaccine and administering it, the profit is at best negligible for a physician's office.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Assuming you really wanted an answer:
Why do I need to get vaccinated every year?

Influenza viruses mutate so quickly that they can render one season's vaccine ineffective by the next season. Health officials use information gathered from around the world to determine which strains of influenza virus are most likely to be prevalent during the upcoming flu season. Manufacturers produce vaccine based on those recommendations.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/flu-shots/ID00017

Vaccines are in a sense victims of their own success. Most people are too young to remember polio and the kid down the block who got it and now is in an iron lung. Because there are not experiences like this around to scare people, they become skeptical and stop getting vaccinated or having their kids vaccinated. But when enough people are unvaccinated, diseases like whooping cough etc can come back. And flu can spread easily, perhaps getting to epidemic scale.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My coworker, kinda a hipster, was concerned about getting his son vaccinated.

His doctor, an immigrant from sub-Saharan Africa, laughed at the idea of some well-to-do American not wanting to give his son the shots. Then he said there's pretty much no other option, the kid wasn't leaving until his dad (my coworker) agreed to them.

My coworker said 90 seconds of the doctor's stories enlightened him enough to fully support vaccines!

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
DO you guys actually believe that a bug can Mutate?
Thats the stuff of Spiredman comic books.
Mutate? sheesh.
Like Mutate into a new species?
If that were possible then are they "evolving" in order to survive from getting wiped out from the flu vaccines?

Hmmm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom