Covering Smell Coyote Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crag83

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I went coyote hunting I did not do anything to my person as far as scent cover; however I did put raccoon urine on several nearby trees and ensured I was in the correct position for the wind. Do I need to put scent cover on or are these precautions fine because in actuality dogs can smell anything.

Crag

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I havent ever tried the bacon grease..... Actuallly I rarely use cover scent but I try to use the wind to my advantage. I try and remain as scent free as possible.(not using strong smelling soaps, not wearing cologne, etc.)

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
all i use is the primos earth spray---smells like really rich, fresh dug dirt. in a green bottle and can be found at wal-mart. you will find out that people have a difference to use cover scents and even camo. friend of mine laughs at me cause he can out in a flanel and blue jeans or his overalls that he does everyday work in and end up getting somethnig. i use it just because sometimes my stands are in different areas according to wind and i just like to think it works....i mean i have had it on everytime i get something so it's gotta be working...right....:ugh2:

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think you can hide your smell...no matter what you try to use. Just try to set up where you can see down wind and then yell at them to stop them and then shoot them before they get where they can smell you. Doesn't always work but best I have been able to do.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think you can hide your smell...no matter what you try to use. Just try to set up where you can see down wind and then yell at them to stop them and then shoot them before they get where they can smell you. Doesn't always work but best I have been able to do.

This.

Had one wind me this weekend in Kansas at 300, he turned and ran. Got him to stop at 350 or 400 (not really a good range guestimater) but wasn't confident enough to take a shot. There was nothing I could do. And there was only about a 5 mph breeze but from the start I knew if a coyote walked downwind I was in trouble. I was right.

Just be mindful of the wind. I wouldn't waste my time or money trying to beat it. There are certain stands we won't call if the wind is out of the south. There are certain stands we won't call if the wind is out of the north. There's nothing we can do to mask our scent so we simply change our setup.

Just my $0.00002.

Check out this book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/185-0025741-8518667?a=1448672775

Rizzo knows his coyotes.

gundummy911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My Uncle was way ahead of his time with cover scents. He would hang his hunting clothes in his dear stand for a week or two before the season , he said it allowed the critters to get "used" to his smell as well as allowing the clothes to pick up the smell of the woods. That was in the 1960's dunno if it was true, but he was the most successful hunter I ever knew. He also used to take "salt" cedar twigs and steep them in boiling water like tea, then boil them to reduce by half and he carried this mixture in a stoppered bottle and sprinkled his boots, cuffs, hat and back trail with it.
I am always leery of using any kind of "animal based " scent (urine, pheromones, etc.) when in the woods with coyotes and bobcats. I just don't think I should smell like dinner! I knew a guy that got a big bobcat in his hide with him one time and he was just blowing a wounded rabbit squaller!
JMHO
BT

Madpap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a quart mason jar and stuff it full of cedar boughs. Fill it up with 100 proof vodka. Give it a week or so, the alcohol pulls the oils from the cedar. Strain it in a spray bottle, nothing but pure cedar essence. Makes a great cover scent. Nothing is fool proof but it certainly helps. Coyote hunting or deer hunting. Read this in Field and Stream about 20 years ago and thats all I've used since. It will work with just about any fragrant plant.

CrossJ

Marksman
Reaction score
Crag, Forget the cover scent. It is a waste of time while predator hunting. Any amount of human scent detected by a coyote approaching a call will booger the coyote. You can't hide our stink from their nose. The key here is to remember that the sence of smell is the coyotes strongest weapon, and the one it depends on the most for survival. Knowing this, use it to your advantage. A coyote will always circle for the wind(nothing is 100%, but in this situation we will assume it is). Weather they circle at 3 yards or 300 yards is up to many factors such as human pressure and the individual coyotes nature. But, if you make every stand understanding this, you have a better understanding of where to make your stand, and where the coyote will make his approach. Good luck, and remember, there is not a simple recipe to being continually successful calling coyotes. The best weapon you have on your side is your own brain.....use it.
Maintain

Jack482

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So this lady I know told me every time she would brush hog the coyote would come out (to get the mice and rabbits she stired up i guess) I went out to her place for 3 day in a row and mowed for her but never saw a coyote. was she just trying to get me to mow for her or is there something to her theory?

Latest posts

Top Bottom