Neighbor's Dog Attacked One of My Goats

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bummer! That’s unfortunate for you and the goat. Hope it turns out ok.

That’s how keeping livestock goes though.. crap happens to them from time to time. Even when taking the best possible care of them, crap still happens occasionally.

I have a neighbor with a couple annoying dogs who have caused trouble. I wouldn’t shoot them though, like you said, I wouldn’t want that bad blood between neighbors. Although I do pop ‘em with the BB gun in the hindquarters when I see them on my property. The yelp and instant running home gives me joy lol

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dispatching the dog wasn't an option in the moment. And I sure as hell can't go over to the neighbor's property to kill his dog after the fact. I didn't have a gun, the dog ran away. I doubt he'll be back. Believe me, I considered killing the dog but I would've had to use my hands...and I was more worried about my goat at the time.

So that's why I said I wasn't interested in hearing about killing the dog or how I should've killed the dog. I knew it was a waste of time to even type that. It wasn't really an option at the time and it's sure as hell not an option now.

Not to mention I likely will be living next to this neighbor for the remainder of my life. I don't need that kind of relationship with a neighbor who, aside from this incident, has been a very good and helpful person. So frankly, I think the "shoot the dog" nonsense is a little short-sighted. Sure...it might solve one problem but how many does it create? And the man told me he was going to address the problem of the dog and do what needed to be done in terms of making the damages right.
In case it wasn't clear, I think you handled it better than I would've. The results are probably better, at the very least.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dispatching the dog wasn't an option in the moment. And I sure as hell can't go over to the neighbor's property to kill his dog after the fact. I didn't have a gun, the dog ran away. I doubt he'll be back. Believe me, I considered killing the dog but I would've had to use my hands...and I was more worried about my goat at the time.

So that's why I said I wasn't interested in hearing about killing the dog or how I should've killed the dog. I knew it was a waste of time to even type that. It wasn't really an option at the time and it's sure as hell not an option now.

Not to mention I likely will be living next to this neighbor for the remainder of my life. I don't need that kind of relationship with a neighbor who, aside from this incident, has been a very good and helpful person. So frankly, I think the "shoot the dog" nonsense is a little short-sighted. Sure...it might solve one problem but how many does it create? And the man told me he was going to address the problem of the dog and do what needed to be done in terms of making the damages right.

Well you have the legal right to shoot the dog, but in the end it is your choice, I can respect that either way you decide.

Good neighbor or not, make it clear, their dog stays off your property.

The dogs owner is responsible for the actions of his dog on your property and damages done to your property. Take the goat to a vet, send the dogs owner the bill.

Goos luck.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bummer! That’s unfortunate for you and the goat. Hope it turns out ok.

That’s how keeping livestock goes though.. crap happens to them from time to time. Even when taking the best possible care of them, crap still happens occasionally.

I have a neighbor with a couple annoying dogs who have caused trouble. I wouldn’t shoot them though, like you said, I wouldn’t want that bad blood between neighbors. Although I do pop ‘em with the BB gun in the hindquarters when I see them on my property. The yelp and instant running home gives me joy lol

We had a few goats and chickens when we moved here to okie land in 1979.

Neighbor dog was coming over chasing the chickens and goats. I caught him one day and took off running I grabbed a bb gun and headed out the back door, as that dog was crawling under our fence his ass was up in the air, and he was a intact male.

I aimed and popped him in the nuts, he went down yelping and half ran, crawled back to his house. That dog never came back and when he saw me he would run away LOL.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my teens a neighbor dog killed our family dog my folks had since before they had me..15 years or so. We came home from church (they had bickered a little before church (spice was old farm dog) he was bloody laying in the yard. Mom called neighbor, they chained him, 15yr old aggrsssion, it took all mom had to keep me from blasting him.
Now, i like Milli my standard poodle much more than most folks. You handled it well.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In case it wasn't clear, I think you handled it better than I would've. The results are probably better, at the very least.

I know that. I wasn't referring to you, specifically, with those comments. Just kinda putting out thoughts on why I did what I did. Obviously it didn't come out the way I intended.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Goats with Anatolian Shepherd problem solved

No, the problem isn't solved. That would just create other problems that have to be solved. Like finding a dog, paying for a dog, training the dog, maintaining the dog, etc.

I don't want a donkey and I don't want a dog like that. Another dog, especially a big dog, is a substantial expense. So is a donkey...and both options create additional problems. Those solutions MAY prevent a similar situation in the future...they won't guarantee it won't happen. Not to mention it doesn't solve the biggest problem which is the injured goat.

The best solution would be for people to take care of the damn dogs they have. Aside from that, the best solution in this case is my goat recovers and the neighbor steps up to compensate me (although that's the least of my concerns) and to make sure this doesn't happen again and we move on with life as good neighbors to one another.

Things don't generally occur in a vacuum. Actions, and reactions, have consequences.

Latest posts

Top Bottom