Neighbor's Dog Attacked One of My Goats

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dispatching the dog wasn't an option in the moment. And I sure as hell can't go over to the neighbor's property to kill his dog after the fact. I didn't have a gun, the dog ran away. I doubt he'll be back. Believe me, I considered killing the dog but I would've had to use my hands...and I was more worried about my goat at the time.

So that's why I said I wasn't interested in hearing about killing the dog or how I should've killed the dog. I knew it was a waste of time to even type that. It wasn't really an option at the time and it's sure as hell not an option now.

Not to mention I likely will be living next to this neighbor for the remainder of my life. I don't need that kind of relationship with a neighbor who, aside from this incident, has been a very good and helpful person. So frankly, I think the "shoot the dog" nonsense is a little short-sighted. Sure...it might solve one problem but how many does it create? And the man told me he was going to address the problem of the dog and do what needed to be done in terms of making the damages right.
I have to say that as quick as some here are to say, shoot the dog, they would have made excellent LEOs. :P

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK...I get the guard dog thing. But I don't have a herd of goats. I have 4. They're mostly just pets and entertaining companions that give me something to do and care for. We're not running a goat farm, I don't have a large herd to protect. But I don't think it makes sense to get a large dog (or a donkey), for a lot of reasons, mostly financial. The dog would require more $$ in just food every year than the monetary value of the goats. I'd also be concerned about interactions with my Corgis that like to herd the goats. It just doesn't make sense from a purely practical standpoint. As for the expense of getting a large dog, to me that would be like buying a semi with a flatbed to haul a couple of sheets of plywood home from the lumber yard.

I think we'll concentrate on fencing off a larger portion of the property than we had intended.

I also just got Annie back from the vet. She's pretty beat up and in a lot of pain. The doc seems to think she'll recover physically but didn't rule out some brain damage due to being choked so badly. He does think that's not likely but is possible. Gave her some pain meds and antibiotics and cleaned everything up. Surprisingly few serious puncture wounds but very severe bruising on her neck and a couple of her legs.

The neighbor has already taken steps to remove the dog and to reimburse me for the vet expenses. I'm sure we can work thru this...he's pretty reasonable and I sometimes try to be. Maybe we can make that work.
https://www.shopfarmfencesolutions.com/1348-titan-fixed-knot-hi-tensile-fence.html?id=46332705
high tensile fixed knot wire. stretch it tight and it will be there in 50 years the narrow stay space will keep the horned goats from snagging and the dogs bobcats coyotes will stay out.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.shopfarmfencesolutions.com/1348-titan-fixed-knot-hi-tensile-fence.html?id=46332705
high tensile fixed knot wire. stretch it tight and it will be there in 50 years the narrow stay space will keep the horned goats from snagging and the dogs bobcats coyotes will stay out.

That's pretty much what I fenced off their grazing area with...except it's welded instead of knotted. 2x4 welded wire fencing. It's in pretty short supply around here. Or it was when I was looking for some.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear she's on the mend. I don't have any answers for you about the dog/dogs/donkeys/neighbors and whether any or all or none of them need shooting. Just happy for little Annie and her "papa". 😉😘

"Gotta be somebody need some killin'..." - Maj Payne

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to say that as quick as some here are to say, shoot the dog, they would have made excellent LEOs. :P

AFT Agents in the making 😂
I recommended killing the dog.

When one owns livestock, one is responsible for that livestock. The livestock, or pets, either one, depends on it's owner for everything.

The feeding, sheltering, taking care of medical issues, and yes - the safety of said livestock is the owner's responsibility.

The owner is morally responsible to keep the livestock safe. That includes defending it against perils.

If one is aware of a danger and doesn't take measures, that owner is irresponsible. That owner is not fulfilling his/her moral obligations to the animal.

Note well, I said to kill that danger (the dog that has already attacked once) if it shows up again. I did not say to hunt it down.

I have been in this situation. I took care of it. 2 dogs were killed during the 3rd attack. It will not get to the second attack next time.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The dog is gone. I'm not sure where or how, but the dog is gone. The neighbor has reimbursed me for the vet expenses I had today.

Other than some time for Annie to heal the issue has been resolved as far as I'm concerned.

I have to work out what's best in terms of fencing off an area but that will happen in due time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom