Neighbor's Dog Attacked One of My Goats

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Annie was up and moving, very slowly, when I went out to check on her this morning and give her a pain shot. First time she's gotten up on her own since this happened. She even ate a little and tried to head-butt one of the little ones...just in super slow motion. It was actually kinda funny.

I'm cautiously optimistic seeing this. She still can't put any weight on her left rear leg but this is still encouraging. She didn't seem to need the pain meds so I held off on that...last one so she might need it more later.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned animals deserve our compassion far more than a lot of people do. I generally love being around animals. I've had to put many down and it bothered me to do it...a lot. I have no idea how many elk and deer I've dispatched as a deputy working in the mountains of Colorado but likely a few dozen or more.

Even when I was a pretty avid hunter I didn't enjoy the kill at all. Later on there were many times I wouldn't shoot an elk just because of how beautiful they were. And we certainly didn't need the meat to survive. I don't even bother hunting any more. I don't begrudge anyone hunting...it's just not for me. I could do it if I had to...but I don't have to.

You are kind of like me. When I was growing up, I did a lot of hunting, although in the Panhandle where we lived, that was mostly waterfowl and quail.

Since then, I tell everyone that I do my hunting with a camera. That way, I can "bag" them and still watch them walk away.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a little trick I learned/use with my goats. Leaves are like candy to them. They particularly like the oak and sycamore leaves. Every fall before all the green leaves disappear I gather a bunch and put them in a ziplock bag in the freezer. Use them to stimulate the appetite during the winter months if a goat is down for whatever reason.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny you should mention the leaves. Annie's slowly getting her appetite back but doesn't wanna eat much. I gathered a few oak twigs with some leaves and put them in the pen with her. Happy goat...
They are much happier browsing instead of grazing. They really arent too different from deer in most ways.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about Annie, but on the plus side your neighbor sounds like a standup guy. I applaud you for putting that relationship in play before acting rashly as some have recommended.

I know you have said no to the livestock guardian dog, however if you do change your mind, they do work. Also, I think you would be surprised how little a great pyr actually eats. Ours ate about a 34lb bag every month and would sometimes go 1-2 days without hardly eating anything in the summer. The real cost was flea/tick dip and heart worm. But like has been said here already. They become just like the goats, you put them with the goats as a pup, don’t tear them like a house pet, and they will generally figure out their job on their own.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about Annie, but on the plus side your neighbor sounds like a standup guy. I applaud you for putting that relationship in play before acting rashly as some have recommended.

I know you have said no to the livestock guardian dog, however if you do change your mind, they do work. Also, I think you would be surprised how little a great pyr actually eats. Ours ate about a 34lb bag every month and would sometimes go 1-2 days without hardly eating anything in the summer. The real cost was flea/tick dip and heart worm. But like has been said here already. They become just like the goats, you put them with the goats as a pup, don’t tear them like a house pet, and they will generally figure out their job on their own.
Our Anatolians were similar, but I definitely understand weighing the additional upkeep vs the role they would be filling. I would feed our Anatolians first and more times than not they would still stand at the feeders and eat cubes with the cows hahaha.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Annie seems to be nearly healed. She still has a wound area on her leg that needs to heal. A large (about 3 sq in) chunk of skin fell off yesterday and it looked pretty gnarly underneath. We cleaned and put some antibiotic spray on it. Looks better today.

But, she's getting around fine and back to climbing and jumping on everything. She looks funny missing a piece of her ear...

Annie Ear.jpg

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Annie seems to be nearly healed. She still has a wound area on her leg that needs to heal. A large (about 3 sq in) chunk of skin fell off yesterday and it looked pretty gnarly underneath. We cleaned and put some antibiotic spray on it. Looks better today.

But, she's getting around fine and back to climbing and jumping on everything. She looks funny missing a piece of her ear...

View attachment 334294

Good to hear it! Nice way to end the year :)

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A yote can clear six foot fences. We have found them on top of our round bales. My old collie would clear our six foot fence from a walk, she stayed in when she wanted and travelled the pasture when she wanted.

Latest posts

Top Bottom