Ruger Piston AR--your thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With Ruger having a gun in the Piston AR arena, what is your thoughts? I have held one and the fit and finish is well above other manufacturers. The trigger pull is the nicest of any factory non-match trigger I have felt. The 1-9 twist is not bad in my book but I do know a liot of guys want 1-7 twist for heavier bullets. The weight is not bad at all, the hgs do look like quality, and the sights are awesome. I would love to shoot one.

From what I have read, the recoil on a piston gun is a little more than a DI system. I have read the reasons behind the piston AR, but I am not convinced that they are the end all. I have yet to shoot a piston AR, have any of you guys? What is your thoughts?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I doubt piston guns are the 'end all', but there never will be one. I just like the idea of NOT venting hot gas and residue into the action.

I'm drawn to the piston ARs since they keep the ergonomics of something I'm used to but seem to offer improved reliability and ease of maintenance.

As long as they are reasonably priced, I'm willing to try one...not going to shell out HK416-type cash for one but I might try something a little more down to earth.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the Ruger is having street price of around 1550. Not bad considering the Troy sights, hgs, and piston. I hate to try one and then like it better than my M4 LOL. Evolution at its finest, maybe.

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Sig 556 and an AR's it would be tough to have to pick between one of the two. I haven't ever had one of my ARs jam on me or the Sig but I usually don't go through alot of ammo at a time and I always clean them when I'm done.

Evan

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had looked at the SIg before but it was really unbalanced to me. I still don't know what to think, and to make things worse CMMG has a piston rifle right at a 1000 but it is bare bones.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Outdoor America had one last week. I got to fondle it. I thought it was pretty sweet. For all that was on it/comes with it; I thought that 1550 (or close to that) was a good price.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As much as I hate Ruger, this is a very tempting gun. I handled one the other day, and I was quite impressed. I have, however, been seeing some reports on the net of extreme cases of carrier tilt.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Carrier tilt is a problem on most of the piston AR rifles. Tere are a few quick fixes for it but it would be nice if the companies took care of it ad leave it up to the customer to do it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom