Loudest Gun/Cartridge?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EWolf

New to the site!
Reaction score
My Ruger .308 with the "Boomer" muzzle break is completely silent. The first time I pulled the trigger without era protection I never heard the the shot. All I heard was an intensely loud, high-pitched "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE................"

In fact, that's all I still hear now that I think about it.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My KS-12 with the brake on is pretty damn loud. I have to remove the brake if I want to shoot it anywhere close by, it's just too much on the guy in the next lane.

PXL_20210414_171442445.jpg

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The sharper the shoulder of the case. the sharper the sound and the sharper the recoil.
With that said, a Hakim in 8mm does a great job of driving the shooters on your right and left away. The muzzle brake designer must have been evil.

Valhallajack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I heard about this guy that had a 6.5 Creedmoor with a break. They are rolling around enid in a 80's gm 4 door farm truck when out of the fog a coyote appears. They have one window down when they touched off a shot and it broke all the other windows (drivers and passengers)from the concussion. That thing was loud.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The loudest I've shot is a Ruger .300 WinMag M77 with a Magna Ported Barrel. We were at an outdoor range where everyone was gearing up for black powder season, he had just gotten it back from Magna-Port. Everyone on the range was POed, we were approached twice by people complaining about the noise. The guy directly to my left though was really kewl about it, actually wanted to try it. Once he did he offered to let us shoot his black powder rifle. My friend declined and I took him up on it. Actually surprised at how accurate a .50 cal black powder rifle was and soft shooting. My loudest handgun is probably a .380 Walther PPK/S with +P rounds. I think it is much louder than a 9 mm or a .45. My .357 is pretty loud too with magnum rounds, but I think the Walther is louder.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you exclude the "monster" guns like the 50 BMG's,,,
My vote for loudest rifle goes to,,,
The Mosin-Nagant.

Several people at my range have/shoot these beasts,,,
We always know when they are present,,,
The report is, well,,,
Remarkable.

Is it some kind of super fast burning propellant?

Aarond

OneMoreEvan

This is bowling, there are rules. MARK IT ZERO
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A 12 Gauge shotgun in a living room (with no ear protection) sure did rattle my teeth. Without white noise, I hear "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" all the time. 0/10 would not recommend. The other guy faired quite a bit worse than me, all things considered though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom